trying to download Fedora Core3 - help pls!

Hiya Guys,

damn!
Burn't off 4 CD - all bad.... what am I doing wrong????

Downloaded ISO images from 2 mirror sites so far....
Onto my Windows XP laptop at work
(ie. thru firewall...)
thru Internet Explorer - choosing the FTP:// sites
I had 4 downloads going at once....

what am I doing wrong????
-------------------------------

  1. should I go through CUTE FTP instead?

  2. is it the firewall?

  3. Can it be the CD burning?
    (Mind you, I had a friend burn off one of the CDs on his PC (We copied the ISO from my laptop - rather than him downloading himself....)

Should I use my SOLARIS Workstation to download, then FTP onto my Laptop with the CD burner? (Mind yo my Workstation has a really old version of NETSCAPE.... dunno if this would be an issue for FTP though)

How do I check before Burning off a CD, and wasting it?
----------------------------------------------------------
(Was using Nero 5.5 I think....)

I really hope you can help.

Cheers
Martin
:confused:

the first thing to do is check the md5 sum for each of the isos. The refernce values are in a text file the same directory on the server as you downloded the isos from.

for windows http://www.md5summer.org

I dont know if the firewall at work will block the ports, but when I download Linux, I like to use BitTorrent. You might want to check it out.

Hiya Guys,

Thanks for the advice:

  1. MIDSUM5
  • How do I do this on a WINDOWS PC?
  • tried to download - but only got it as a TEXT file....
  1. Firewall
  • I tried to install anyways
  • Got half way through 1st CD - then said "file missing... media or download corrupt...."
  • FIREWALL - surely it would either let the FTP download ok, or deny right from the start? Ie not allow partial downloads???? (I really dunno how it work - please advise!)

Oh man - this UNIX stuff - exciting concepts - but bit of a pain getting off the ground.

Please advise
Martin

If you are having trouble with the downloads try and get your hands on some media from elsewhere, if you are lucky enough to be in Australia send me a message and I will send you whatever free Linux or Unix you want.

Hiya Chek,

Awww thats really nice of you mate! :slight_smile:

However, I'm in sunny England....

.... Hmmm.... maybe a good idea - I'll check the UK Internet as well as trying to do myself!

Cheers for the offer tho! :wink:

have you tried any download managers such as reget, or getright
they could recover from any errors during download

zipped version of the app, from the md5summer page:
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~floydian/md5/md5v11026.zip