Simple grep question

This should be so easy...
I want to find all the apps in /Applications that start with the lower case i (e.g. iTunes.app, iSync.app, iCal.app) They should all have the .app extension. I've tried:

ls /Applications |grep -o i*.app
ls /Applications/i*.app

Anyhow, I just want to see what apps if any are in that location, for some reason it is harder than it should be to get clean output!

I don't understand - your second ls should work correctly if there exist files with the correct name pattern.

Is the /Applications directory just off the root directory? - that is what /Applications implies as written. If not try this

ls ./Applications/i*.app

or this

# this tells you where Applications really is:
find / -type d -name Applications
# cd to the  location result from the above command
ls i*.app

Dear Friend,

You can use the following example also.

find Forums/ -name "i*.app"

The above code will give all the file start with the character "i" and extension with ".app" in the directory "Applications".