SAMBA Help

All,

I have a Red Hat EL5 server running Samba 3.0.23c integrated with AD. When I try to access from windows by server name it asks for a username and password, but when I access it via IP I can see it.

Has anyone seen this before? I need to have it setup where people do Start->Run->\\servername not Start->Run->\\IP.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Go into a command line and type

net use

to mount a drive I do the following..., I'm using "s:" as an example...

net use s: \\machine\share /USER:username

and to remove....

net use s: /d

does the result of "nslookup hostname" match the IP you use?

net use <drive letter> \\machine\share /USER:username still prompted me for a password.

nslookup hostname worked fine.

I'm not sure it matters but we are using NIS here. On the samba machine I can ypcat passwd, group fine. When I ypcat server I get two entries, both the same IP and name.

ypcat hosts |grep machine1
XXX.XX.XXX.22 machine1 machine1.domain.com
XXX.XX.XXX.22 machine1 machine1.domain.com

Also, wbinfo -g/u works as it should.

OK, here is the latest.

I have installed the beta version of Samba (3.0.25b-0.el5.4) from Red Hat's FasTrac site and all is fixed. Not sure why but it works.

Thanks for the help.