make and make install commands

Hi there,

I am installing a package at the moment on to my Solaris version 8 and I have run into a problem with the 'make' command.   I have installed the package using the 'pkgadd' command and I am now at the stage where I have to use the 'make' command followed by the 'make install' command.  According to the instructions for the package you just type 'make' and 'make install' and it should compile.  When I use the 'make' command I get the following error:

make: Fatal error: Command failed for target

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Are there any more error messages before this?

The message only tells the make on the default target failed, but giving no indication of what actually failed

Hi Cbkihong,

This is the full error. GCC is definitely installed. I am running the 'make' command from the directory with the makefile in it. There is no other errors before this one.
I've tried the two different make commands on this:
/usr/ccs/bin/make and /usr/ccs/lib/svr4-make and they both give the same.

gcc -DBZERO -DSOLARIS -DGETTIMEOFDAY -DREGEXEC -O -c bb.c
sh: gcc: not found
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `bb.o'

Thanks.

It looks like you need to insure you have the directory that gcc is installed in as part of your PATH.

If you do the following and it doesn't know where gcc is, then that is your problem.

# which gcc

Hi RTM,

I typed in the command \# which gcc and I found it wasn't in my $path.  I edited the makefile to include gcc in it's correct path and it compiled fine.  Thanks for that.