Machine shutdown unexpectedly

Hi One of our Linux box got shutdown unexpectedly .
I have noticed that 4 out of 8 nic ports were not blinking .

I m not sure where to search logs .
Any help would be appreciated.

Please find the var/log/message

Is it a case of power failure as nothing specific is getting logged(Just a wild guess).

What distro of Linux?

# lsb_release -a
LSB Version: :core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.1-ia32:graphics-3.1-noarch

Distributor ID: OracleVMserver
Description:    Oracle VM server release 2.2.0
Release:        2.2.0
Codename:       n/a

awaiting reply...

It could be anything. You have not supplied enough information for anybody to make a diagnosis.

Not that I'm sure what to ask, either; if there's nothing in the logs, it's really hard to say. It could have also been a kernel fault: A crashed system writes no files, so they often won't record anything to the system log. Or someone hitting the reset button.

Have you checked dmesg? If it was a KP or some sort of hardware fault it will be in there as well, also try /var/log/messages to see (that file only gets cached every so often).

dmesg gets cleared on reboot.

A crashed kernel writes no files.