I may have accidentally redefined one of the outputs...

I get unexpected results when doing ls -al | more and ls -al | grep.

When I do not pipe the output, it comes to the screen just fine, and there is output!

When I pipe to another command, I either get nothing, or else I get a strange dump.

Which of the outputs have I accidentally affected?

Thanks!

ls -al | grep
will give no output, because it has no pattern to match on.

ls -al | more should work but it may come out incorrectly on screen is you have your TERM environment variable incorrectly defined.

Hi,

Thank you for your posts.

Of course I did not show the entire command where I sent the output of ls -al to a pipe to grep for something. Sorry if you found my fragment confusing.

In any case, there was an internal application that was misappropriating the output. Once that was corrected, the outputs were fine.

Thanks again,
Joan