df -h command, can't seem to find real location

Hi,

I need your help. I am at a new place, just trying to understand what's going on here. When I do df -h, I see many mounts. But most of them are automount, how do I find the real location?

 
netappt1:/vol/homet2/sthan
                      1.7T  1.2T  527G  69% /home/sthan
netappt1:/vol/homet1/tech
                      1.0T  666G  359G  65% /home/tech
netappt1:/vol/homet2/cac
                      1.7T  1.2T  527G  69% /home/cac
netappt1:/vol/homet2/ala
                      1.7T  1.2T  527G  69% /home/ala
netappt1:/vol/homet1/msata
                      1.0T  666G  359G  65% /home/msata
 

When I go to /home, I see all the directory but that's automap. I can't create any directory. I need the real location, I also tried the /vol /vol/homet2/xyz.... but it doesn't work either.

[root@txust01 home]# cd /vol
-bash: cd: /vol: No such file or directory

Please let me know what I am missing here... Thanks.

The real location of what?
What I see is you are using a NAS... and to a user it should be transparent, so for you too...

You need to look at your automount maps to see the real location of directories that are automounted.

Yes. It's using NAS. where do I find that /home is mounted to? I need to create a directory under /home. When I look at passwd file, it says for each user /home/user ID. I can't create the directory under /home. It's mapped to some thing else.

[root@txust01 home]# mkdir xyz
mkdir: cannot create directory `xyz': No such file or directory

---------- Post updated at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:20 AM ----------

I got it. I need to be on the admin server. From the server I was on, that is only read only. To make any changes, I need to be on the NISNFS master server.

Every day, I learn some thing new about NIS NFS. :slight_smile:

Thinking of it - Are you root?
If so, then there is this little somewhat all sysadmins know and get caught some times:
Are we on NFS? If so the first you may be on a "deny root access...(or readonly for root...)".