configuring the system

Hi,

I am trying to restore a tape from one system to another.
I want to restore the whole system.
The thing is that the first system has 2 disks and
the second has 1 disk but the capacity is the same.See below:

first system:

2 disks ---> 9Gb and 7Gb

second system:

1 disk ---> 16Gb

I set the partioning the same though, so whatever I have on the first system I have at the second as well. The thing is that the devices obviously going to be the same.
I would to know which files in specific are the ones that UNIX reads when it comes up?

For example must the the following file be changed
to the correct device, and if yes which other files
shall I consider ??

<pre>

isgsi01(root)8: more .cpr_config

CnFg/.CPR/
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0/pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/disk@0,0:a

</pre>

Thanks for your help !

Sorry I mispelled.

<< I set the partioning the same though, so whatever I have on the first system I have at the second as well. The thing is that the devices obviously are NOT going to be the same.
I would like to know which files in specific are the ones that UNIX reads when it comes up? >>

I think that your approach to this project is fundamentally flawed. You need to install an os on the new system just to get the ball rolling. Then you need to set up your filesystems. Then you should carefully select a few configuration files from /etc that need to be copied over and install those. Finally restore the non-os filesystems (and I include /opt and /usr/local). Then see how it looks. You will probably find that something else from /etc needs to be copied. You just work with it till it's right. But stuff like / and /usr and /var (and /stand if it's separate) should be left alone in general, with only a few specific files being copied from the old system to the new. And for every file copied to an os filesystem you should know precisely why you are copying it.

You will find this much easier if you have the old system and new system up at the same time. This means that they will need different ip addresses and different host names.

Thanks Perderabo,

Actually, I would like to cluster a UNIX server that is running oracle. I managed to do that finally by:

NOT installing an operating system but ONLY partition the disk the way the UNIX server was and newds each one of them. Then using the dat tape I managed to restore everything back. After 3 days it is all NOW working.
Thank you all for your help and ideas anyway.

:wink: