How to change host name in NCR Unix version 3.0 release 4.0
I got the OS version and OS release from executing uname -v and uname -r
How to change host name in NCR Unix version 3.0 release 4.0
I got the OS version and OS release from executing uname -v and uname -r
check:
hostname --help
or
man hostname
In this box no command call �hostname�
check out the command "ndd"
Also AFAIK, NCR is a SVR4 version of Unix.
So look in:
/etc/hostname.*
/etc/inet/*
/etc/defaultrouter
I hope this helps, if not, please reply.
Good luck
# ls /etc/hostname.*
UX:ls: ERROR: Cannot access /etc/hostname.*: No such file or directory
# ls /etc/defaultrouter
UX:ls: ERROR: Cannot access /etc/defaultrouter: No such file or directory
/etc/inet/ containing lot of files and directories not Sure which to edit
I fired up an old NCR cash register in the basement.
If you are operating in paranoid mode, none of the host information will be shown (change it with the key switch, using the machine's key). Host name with NCR is established with the license agreement upon installation.
Please post
# uname -a
# ifconfig
try the command
# ndd
# host
# hostid
# more /etc/resolv.conf
NCR comes with a utility command called NETWORK-SETUP
Generally, if NCR does not get a host name, it defaults to local host.
This is the max I can help with.
Good luck
# uname -a
prdaeatm prdaeatm 4.0 3.0 3518 Pentium IV(TM)-ISA/PCI
# ifconfig
usage: ifconfig interface | -a [addr_family]
[ address [ dest_addr ] ]
[ up ] [ down ]
[ netmask mask ]
[ broadcast bc_addr ]
[ metric n ]
[ mtu n ]
[ arp | -arp ]
[ no1323opt | -no1323opt ]
[ link0 | -link0 ] [ link1 | -link1 ] [ link2 | -link2 ]
[ debug n ]
[ alias addr | -alias addr ]
[ perf recv send full-size ]
# ndd
UX:sh: ERROR: ndd: not found
# host
Usage: host [-w] [-v] [-r] [-l] [-d]
[-t querytype] [-c class] [-a] host [server]
-w to wait forever until reply
-v for verbose output
-r to disable recursive processing
-d to turn on debugging output
-t querytype to look for a specific type of information
-c class to look for non-Internet data
-l to list the entire domain
-a is equivalent to '-v -t *'
# hostid
0
# more /etc/resolv.conf
domain
nameserver 127.0.0.1
There is no utility call NETWORK-SETUP
Maybe
uname -S newname
uname -S does set hostname to newname.But it is not consistant.It will again change to previous name after reboot.
So you need to add that command to the startup scripts that get executed at reboot time. Another approach is to rebuild the kernel with the new hostname builtin. But I'm not sure how to do that on an old NCR box. I would try to find where the old hostname is set by doing:
cd /etc
grep oldname *
it may be as simple as replacing it there. (Could also be in a subdirectory of /etc. Especially check for /etc/conf) But you may find it in a file which is intended as input to the kernel build process (possibly called /etc/system or /etc/master I think) and it won't take effect until you rebuild the kernel. Or that file may be read by the kernel at reboot time... I'm just not sure how your system works. I think that the NCR's had a system admin tool called va which is a text based menu system. If you can find that, you might look for a change hostname option or a kernel rebuild option. Note that what you are calling "hostname" is probably called "system name" or something like that.
I worked on an NCR box circa 1990 but it was an NCR box and not a Pentium. So I'm not too sure of what system you have or precisely how it works. Even if you had an old Tower 800, it's been almost 20 years since I've seen one and I have forgotten most of it. So take my comments witha grain of salt.