Boot Problems

During the boot process of my SPARCstation 5, it hangs up at this message: Setting default interface for multicast: add net 224.0.0.0: gateway jpt2. What do I need to do to get past this point? Is there something I need to turn off?

I have hit this before and I can't rembmer what it was but it was something simple. I think it was either one of these 2 things:

  1. Something is hosed with the /etc/hosts file. Boot into single user mode and see if you can check it out.

  2. The server is trying to mount an NFS share that is not available.

I think it is the first but it may be neither.

Hi,

Please boot into single usermode (boot -s)
Then check your netconf for any unexpexted entries.

All ip-adresses should be available and of course all systemnames should be resolveable from the hosts-file.
It happens now and than that people remove entries from the hosts-file that shouldn't have been done. You will find this during a reboot when DNS is not yet running.

Please check you /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/hosts, /sbin/init.d/netconf for any possible problems. your /etc/rc.log ( I beleive sun has it too) should give you the exact cause of the error.

@yourservice
David