I want to look up log files on the unix server. My machine is windows 7 pro.
I can view them from windows explorer but it is slow because huge amount logs files there.
Is there a way or tools to quickly access it?
Thanks.
I want to look up log files on the unix server. My machine is windows 7 pro.
I can view them from windows explorer but it is slow because huge amount logs files there.
Is there a way or tools to quickly access it?
Thanks.
Use some other browser to browse it, or log in with a shell perhaps?
It may be better to look at the logs while logged into the UNIX server, or to pull them to the windows machine with ftp, sftp or scp. Notepad or wordpad would be the best windows apps to use for viewing the logs. Beware some UNIX files are binary and you need to use special tools to look at them.
Can you recommend a scp tools?
WinSCP, tunnelier, techTIA. Any scp or sftp tool will be fine. What is nice about these is that they can also be used to login to the UNIX server. Looking at the logs on the UNIX sever would be better. If you need the commands let me know.
I heard about WinScp, but I have no idea of private key file. I don't have it.
It's optional. All that's really needed is the hostname, username, and password.
The key is a rsa or dsa generated key. it is used for password-less login. The WinSCP documentation should have a how-to for this. The key is not needed.
If this is not going to a thing you do all the time I would just use a password.
---------- Post updated at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:20 PM ----------
I was thinking and there may be anther reason that Windows Explorer is slow. Sometimes UNIX logs are zipped up or tared after a few of them roll over, to save space. They are then left in place. Windows Explorer will open them but it will take a little longer because the program needs to unzip them 1st. I would ask the UNIX admin how his logs are setup.
I hope this helps.