x86.miniroot questions

Hi everybody :slight_smile:

I am trying to setup a solaris x86 pxeboot enviroment at my work, but i am haveing quite a few problems...

I have got it to work, almost.. just need someone smart to help me out with the rest :stuck_out_tongue:

as you can see in the attached image, it fails when it tries to contact the jumpstart server, due to that there aren't any network interface pressent.

but, as showed in the screenshot - there are one 'pcn0' and if i run a 'ifconfig -a dhcp' it get an ipaddress and i am able to continue the installation by running '/sbin/install-setup'

My qustion is..
Where in the x86.miniroot image - should i make changes, so it can execute theese commands by itself.

What are you dhcp (dhtadm and pntadm) rules and what does your sysidcfg look like?

You should not need to alter the miniroot in order to make a dhcp configuration work during a PXE jumpstart.

Hi reborg,

Thanks for replying.

our dhcp is running dhtadm, i can paste the sysidcfg inhere, but it dosen't even starts to check after it.

Check this out, i have recorded to bootup process (vmware)

you have to use this codec
http://dfn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/camstudio/CamStudioCodec-1.4-w32.zip

The recording is stored here:
FileSend - miniroot.avi

You are able to see the entire bootprocess, and i have enabled the -verbose option.

/Skovsen

Skovsen, your post got moderated. I am looking at this now.

Thanks, i really appreciate this :slight_smile:

Aren't your grub menu options just out of order?

The directory of the grub menu will depend on how you ran the add_install_client. I usually just run a generic:

add_install_client -d SUNW.i86pc i86pc

Where SUNW.i86pc is my dhtadm macro. My grub menu is located in /tftpboot/boot/grub/menu.lst.

I think you just need to do this:

default=0
timeout=30
title Sol10_x86 Jumpstart
        kernel /I86PC.Solaris_10-1/multiboot kernel/unix - install dhcp -B install_config=10.1.4.240:/jumpstart/Sysidcfg,install_media=10.1.4.240:/jumpstart/OS/x86/Solaris_10_5
        module /I86PC.Solaris_10-1/x86.miniroot

Some of those settings may need to change, again, depending on add_install_client.

Oh, and update 6 is out :smiley:

You aren't specifying an interface in your sysidcfg file are you?

I suppose I could post the macros to support my above post:

dhtadm -A -m PXEClient:Arch:00000:UNDI:002001 -d ":BootSrvA=10.1.4.240:BootFile=SUNW.i86pc:"

dhtadm -A -s SinstNM -d 'Vendor=SUNW.i86pc,11,ASCII,1,0'
dhtadm -A -s SinstPTH -d 'Vendor=SUNW.i86pc,12,ASCII,1,0'
dhtadm -A -s SinstIP4 -d 'Vendor=SUNW.i86pc,10,ASCII,1,0'
dhtadm -A -s SrootNM -d 'Vendor=SUNW.i86pc,3,ASCII,1,0'
dhtadm -A -s SrootPTH -d 'Vendor=SUNW.i86pc,4,ASCII,1,0'
dhtadm -A -s SrootIP4 -d 'Vendor=SUNW.i86pc,2,ASCII,1,0'
dhtadm -A -s SjumpsCF -d 'Vendor=SUNW.i86pc,14,ASCII,1,0'
dhtadm -A -s SsysidCF -d 'Vendor=SUNW.i86pc,13,ASCII,1,0'
dhtadm -A -s SbootURI -d 'Vendor=SUNW.i86pc,16,ASCII,1,0'

dhtadm -A -m JUMP.i86 -d ":BootSrvA=10.1.4.240:BootFile=SUNW.i86pc:"
dhtadm -M -m JUMP.i86 -e 'SinstNM=servernamehere'
dhtadm -M -m JUMP.i86 -e 'SinstPTH=/jumpstart'
dhtadm -M -m JUMP.i86 -e 'SinstIP4=10.1.4.240'
dhtadm -M -m JUMP.i86 -e 'SrootNM=servernameher'
dhtadm -M -m JUMP.i86 -e 'SrootPTH=/jumpstart/x86/Solaris_10_5/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot'
dhtadm -M -m JUMP.i86 -e 'SrootIP4=10.1.4.240'
dhtadm -M -m JUMP.i86 -e 'SjumpsCF=10.1.4.240:/jumpstart'
dhtadm -M -m JUMP.i86 -e 'SsysidCF=10.1.4.240:/jumpstart/Sysidcfg'

I don't think you'll need all those options, but, just to be complete...

I tried to get this as close as I could to your environment, but you'll have to double check everything :wink: I don't want to be responsible for mucking up your stuff. This is just what works for me.

If you have a multi-homed jumpstart server, and you aren't using the primary interface, you'll need to modify the add_install_client script and change this line:

SERVER=`uname -n`

To whatever your hostname on the interface is. I think you would have run into that issue already tho.

ungh, ok, last post.

I said:

"Where SUNW.i86pc is my dhtadm macro."

That should have been:

"Where SUNW.i86pc is my boot file."

Sorry :confused:

Hi Diabolist,

I am not using PXEGrub, that might confuse a bit, i am using PXELinux to boot it from.
this is why it looks a bit different :slight_smile:

# Sun Solaris 10.0
label solaris10
	MENU LABEL Solaris 10.0
	KERNEL mboot.c32
	append boot/multiboot kernel/unix -v -m debug dhcp -B install_config=10.1.4.240:/jumpstart/Sysidcfg/Solaris_10/sysidcfg,install_media=10.1.4.240:/jumpstart/OS/x86/Solaris_10_5 --- boot/x86.miniroot 
IPAPPEND=1

@ my work we are running all the pxeboot's from the windows WDS server, and from there it should continue over to the jumpserver, and it is working.. well partially :wink:
Still for some reason i can't get the interface online, before it tries to connect to the jumpstart server.

This causes it to exit, and end up in the shell, like you see in the video.

I haven't tried to check all the dhtadm options, i took over this enviroment just 1� months ago, and none had any info about the entire unix enviroment.. so i have my head burried in work atm :smiley: