would like to hook up linux system to another computer!

I have desktop with both windows and fedora core 2 installed on it which I have also hooked up to my psion 5mx palm device that is stored in the windows drive... and i just access the files by mounting them onto my linux drive.. now I have a laptop too .. with the same directories as the linux system on my desktop (same data) and I would like to be able to transfer data back and forth from the desktop to the hardrive using either usb or a cable is this possible! and is an hd? issue.. > thanks moxxx68.:smiley:

Hmm....

Your easiest method would be to get a CAT 5E Crossover cable (or two pieces of straight through CAT 5 and a cheap 4-port hub), and then you've got yourself a mini-network and can trasfer the files hither and tither to your hearts content. Just give one box the IP 192.168.0.1 and the other IP 192.168.0.2. If you're sharing to a windoze box look into Samba (http://www.samba.org), else you can either use NFS, ftp, sftp or scp to share files between linuxen.

Cheers
ZB

dear zazzy appreciate the help,
but what I am looking for is somwehat a little simpler if possible something that I can run spontaneously without haaving to fiddle around wtth IP addresses and so on.. an example! :
on my desk top when I want to access windows to access a files system that holds the converted files from the psion 5mx databse I just mount on root filesystem /Windows and take it from there.. when I am done umount.. and this is the command I use!
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /Windows
and
umount hda1
simple..
now i am thinking that there is a way to connect straight from one hard drive to the other using a usb cable or an ordinary ?pin cable and just write in a command to mount one filesystem from a one hardrive to another filesystem on the other hard drive without having to go through lan or any of that dificulty...
....yours truly moxx68 ..
must find an answer..
thanx!:smiley:

dear zazzybob,
when i read your reply I ran straight for the cables and tried to configure the network and warped the whole wireless bit.. so I just took an easy way out that has worked out just fine.. I have bought and mounted a scandisk a usbdrive (/dev/sda1 i believe) and have solved 90 percent of the problem.. also I installed two floppies on the desktop toget the xtra edge until I can full comprehend what you said.. I almost did but I am not that advanced.:smiley: :cool:

You could always buy a SNL(Server Network Link) like D-Link or linksys sells, and if you are using the X-windows interface then you can always use the COOL!REMOTE CONTROL FILE. This will work on linux. You can download it at http://www.drn.digitalriver.com and that will work. you will have to search for it. From there when this is installed you will need to run it and fix the settings on the other computer.

Cheers,
         Computek

You could also get a Cable Like ZB said, but this will solve most of the prob!!!:cool:

:slight_smile: the more that I can apply with this situation the better I try it..!
thanx moxxx68...:smiley:

No Prob moxxx6!:smiley: