Wont boot

I am new to HP-UX. I have a external SCSI drive with HP-UX on it. I was trying to clone it to another external scsi drive. I added the new drive to existing LVM. Then I used dd command. But it failed with I/O error. Now I cannot boot it from original drive. It's saying panic: LVM: Configuration failure. What should I do now. Please help me somebody.

Of course you have a (a) backup, (b) a recovery strategy and (c) the original installation disks?

No I dont have any backup. I do have installation disks but I dont wanna delete the data what I have in there. So I wanna go for option (b). But I dont know how to do that. If somebody guide me through this will be much appreciated.

Thanks

You will need to describe the exact steps you took as follows...

1. what is the normal arrangement of logical volumes before you did what you did.

2. which LVM did you add the other SCSI drive to, was this drive intended to be a permenant addition?

3. what "dd" did you attempt? Were you trying to get an iso image or the contents?

1. I have no idea. I am new in this.
  2. I added the other drive in same LVM. It was not a permanent addition. I wanted to clone it from the original drive.
  3. I used this command dd if=<source disk> of=<target disk> bs=512

Sorry for my ignorace about all this.

1. Document what you do, that way you can refer to your notes later. You should have some documentation describing how you have the server configured.

2. If the SCSI was not a permanent addition, why did you add it to an existing LVM?

3. I am assuming you didn't use that, that is just an example, we can't help if you don't tell us exactly what you did.

4. Who let you on the box as root? Was the machine critical?

1. Yes will do from next time for sure. I am able boot now typing hpux-lm on ISL. Then how can check what is the normal arrangement of logical volumes.

2. That's the part I screwed up I think. I added to the existing LVM because I saw that drive was showing unused in sam.

3. I used that command and typed the exact disk in both source and target. Here what I typed dd if=/dev/dsk/c8t1d0 of=c0t8d0 bs=512. It was running overnight. In the morning it showed I/0 error. Since then I am not able to boot from any of the disk.

4. I just recently got this box.

What directory where you trying to write to?

How far does it get at boot up?

if=/dev/dsk/c8t1d0

are you sure that's right? you have eight SCSI controllers?

It shouldn't take all night to copy a CD locally.

I was trying from root directory.

It goes to this far

I am more than sure that's right disk. Yeah it has lot of SCSI controllers. It's a hp 9000 A class server.

I dont know how long it took. I was waiting about an hour after I ran that command. Then I went home. In th morning it was showing I/O error.

Hopefully you won't have lost much then.

I hope that too. Now can you please tell me how to fix this problem ? Thanks for being pateint to me.

If I had a messed up root configuration I would attempt to boot from the installation media and see what the damage was, attempt to make a backup of my important data on a remote machine then rebuild the machine from scratch.

I don't think you can boot into single-user mode because the system panics over the root file system.