Windows XP recovery/repair mode

hello again all,

assume I can not log in to the windows installation, (maybe) because of a system file corruption or failure.. however, I do log in to the system using the windows CD with R (repair) mode, that is the command line prompt.

Is there a way in that command prompt to copy the files that I want to an external hard drive, like flash drive?

the R-repair mode would only see the windows installation drive, that is c:\

what is your suggestions in that case? how would I at least back up the data files if I can't log in to windows?

(Once I copy and back up the crucial data to an external drive like USB, then I am planning to re-install windows)

thanks in advance.

It might actually be a lot easier to do this with a 'live cd' version of linux.

how would it be?

You could mount the Windows' partitions as readonly NTFS then copy their contents to a network server using scp.

what is the su password on a live CD linux?

hello porter,

I am having hard time to get the scp command to work.

how do we specify the destination for the scp command, what is the host in that case? remember, this is a windows network, so it has a work group and computer name. on linux live cd I can see both.

(I am trying to backup the files of a crashed Windows XP to another computer on the same network that runs Windows too. I use the linux live CD on the crashed computer)

the command I did was:

$ sudo scp Windows/* computerName:SharedDocs/Backup
ssh: computerName: Name or service not known
lost connection

I was in this situation a little while ago. I removed the C drive, installed another disk and reinstalled XP on the new disk. Then I mounted the old C drive as a D drive. The old drive was in bad shape from a hardware standpoint, but I was able to copy some files that I wanted from it.

I was assuming you had a UNIX server to scp to, especially given the forum you are posting on.

Alternatively you could try to use samba to share the windows disk.

Perderabo has agood workable solution. Your suggestion of copying to a USB drive while you reinstall windows is also a good solution. reborg suggests using "live CD" with a linux OS on it. If you can boot from DVD the latest version of Knoppix (free download and also free in many other ways). If it won't boot from DVD, but will from CD try a slightly older version of Knoppix. boot with your USB drive connected. Knoppix will find it and your old hard drive (and any others, plus your CD, floppy, etc. and show it's icon on the screen. right click it and "mount" it. open it to display a directory and look at it to be sure that you actually have the drive in question. The close the file browser, and right click the drive icon again. this time you want to change the read/write settings open it again, and open the eld drove. Shoose the files that you want to copy and just "drag them" where you want them.
. Sonshyne5

Hello Perderabo,
i'm facing the problem not booting in now found the Harddisk has some serious hardware issue.few sectors. will it be possibel to retrieve the data if i mount that on a working machine. mine is 320 GB SATA disk. becoz of the problem DELL replaing me as ihave the warranty. Now i want to get the data in the old HDD. could u plse send me some procudure for this. thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

milhan,

How about you boot from a linux live CD and mount the drive NTFS. Then insert a External USB drive with enough space and copy from there?

Cheers!