Windows Emulator?

I have heard of something called a windows emulator that allows you to run windows programs in linux, does this realy work?
can I run any windows program (like a computer game)? and where can I get it :stuck_out_tongue:

search google.com/linux for 'wine'

For games you are better off with Cedega (WineX). There is a small cost associated with this and it isnt really free in either sense of the word.
They do make a free version that is available via their CVS but it isn't fully featured.

For General apps, WINE is the best.
This is a very useful resource for getting popular applications working.

Also, If you have lotsa money you may also consider VMWare Workstation; they have a free 30-day trial on their website.

ok, I am currently using windows, but I am very very tempted with installing linux on my main computer, I have never used another operative system beafure (accept a small linux distrobution that runs on top of windows called Topologilinux), But I feel a bit unsure about leaving windows where it is extremely simple to find a program that I want (I know there are programs for linux to download aswell).

Do you think I should install linux on my computer, and leave windows behind on this computer?? If wine works I could atleast use some windows programs, and there is allways gnutella and everything

and oh, does wine require that windows is installed, or will it work anyway?

:frowning: :smiley: :slight_smile: :confused: :eek:

and oh, is it simle to connect to the internet from Linux using LAN?
I have a windows network with my dad and I'd like to be able to ceep it, Lindows/Linspire(Linux) me that in their operative system its practicaly just to plug it in and go, is this true?

As long as you set your Default Gateway to be the IP of the Windows ICS host, and use DHCP on your *nix box - Windows will be happy and ICS will work.

EDIT: BTW I am a *very* happy VMWare Workstation customer and I would recommend it to anybody with enough ���'s to throw at it. I use it to run Solaris, a myriad of BSD's and Linux's on my sole remaining Windoze box.

EDIT-2: I would avoid Linspire/Lindows - I've never used it but I gather that you operate as an administrative user (i.e. root) all the time? Bad news..... If I were you, I'd go with (for a newbie) Mandrake, or if you want the full works, SuSE Linux.

Cheers
ZB

it doesnt realy mather if you allways work as a root user, I am the only one that ever uses this computer so it doesnt realy mather, unless it can pose a threat through hackers/crackers

well, now I did it, I removed windows (eaysier then I thouht it would be) and installed linux (Lindows), and I have to say that I like it very much.

now :stuck_out_tongue:

where can I find a free C-- compiler, Text Editor, (games), generaly important software ??

Fire up a terminal window.

For a text editor, type vi. For a C compiler, you've got gcc. I'm not too sure how Lindows goes about giving you such tools, but with most of the other major Linux distributions, these tools are usually installed - and if not can be found on the distro media. For development, you'll need the appropriate libraries and devel packages installed too. Again, most good distros come with literally 1000's of packages (development, editors, office tools, terminals, configuration utilities, etc, etc) and can be installed on demand. You'll also get a huge suite of command line utilities encompassing a superset of the Unix tools and utilities.

I know Lindows comes with some "Click 'n' Run" subscription based shenanigans, not too sure how it works though.

You can always D/L software from www.gnu.org www.freshmeat.net www.sourceforge.net and other places - you can always search www.google.com for anything else you want.

The point I made about charging round as "root" is if you are using the terminal, screw up your wildcard expansion when issuing an rm -r, you can traverse the whole filesystem and obliterate your installation.

Cheers
ZB
(NOT a fan of Lindows! :wink: )

xmame is a fine Game Emulator for linux.

me neighter, thats why I uninstalled it and installed windows again, but I am thinking about installing some other distrobution, maby mandrake or slackware

Seeing as you're new to Linux, I'd recommend that you start of with Mandrake. Once your comfortable with it, you can consider installing another distro like Slackware or SuSE.

Cheers
ZB

Try to use VMWARE or WIN4LIN. They are good Windows Emulators. If you try VMWARE you can install BSD and Linux systems too. WIN4LIN is cheaper than VMWARE, it's for people who lacks the Microsoft Office suite and you cannot use it to install other OS than Windows.
Good luck.Here are the links.

www.netraverse.com

Why not consider Fedora core 2? It's easy to use and good for starters and installing it is easy too. Fedora core 2 is also very advanced with alot of features.

I too wouldn't recommend Slackware for beginners.