Window NFS VS Solaris NFS

Hi all,

currently i wish to build a NFS server (windows based), is it the I/O speed will slower than the NFS server in Solaris?

any impact, i using the NFS in windows?

First of all, I'd like to not recommend you to do this because it will bring a lot of trouble for you (File Permission, R/A/W Speed per File Size/Total File Qty, etc).

Second, a Large Memory Windows Server with SFU (Service for Unix) is essential. And you need have a specific Disk (or specific folder) for all the NFS Sharing Data Storage.

Third, make all of your Unix User/Windows User/User Mapping Relation-ship is strictly built and need have more and more try on the first test folder. Keep remember make a complex testing scenario to cover all the situation you would meet.

At last, using Google or this Forum if you meet any problem on SFU. Enjoy....:slight_smile:

---------- Post updated at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:59 PM ----------

Regarding the speed, it depends, as per my experience, Memory should be 2 times than the total max file size the NFS Client would access (R/W/X). Also simple permission is preferred because the permission authority rule is totally different between Windows and Unix.

Maybe better solution which I have is disk with ZFS with samba because Windows can read samba, just you need to do is determine which users will have access to that disk