Window Manager of the ... Choice

Inspired by Window Manager of the Year threads from LinuxQuestions.org

Like these: 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006

I wonder what WMs are used by UNIX people ...

People sometimes select diffrent WMs for (old and slow) laptop and (overpowered) workstation, that is why poll allows multiple choices.

4dwm, twm, mwm, dtwm?

my fault, unfortunely there is no way to edit a poll ...

Done. Added 4dwm, twm, mwm, dtwm.

Thank you.

i like xfce4

me too :slight_smile:

I like mwm most. First, because it has (on AIX, where i work most) no "virtual screens", which i dislike. I like physical screens and can't have enough of them - a workplace with 3 screens (preferably 22" CRTs, not that TFT crap) is what it takes to make me happy. Virtual screens, though - is like having the picture of a cup on the wall instead of having a cup of coffee for real.

Second, it hasn't that many "features" like fvwm, etc.. Yes, its quite "barebone", but that means it is easily and quickly configured and not like fvwm, where you have to compose a 5000-line document just to change the colours of the window frames. Right-click-into-the-root-window to fire up the menu (which is easily constructed) is all the functionality i ever needed and will need. More would be just confusing for a simple mind like me.

Third: it is aesthetically pleasing to look at it. Maybe its me but i simply like its elegant look.

bakunin

no sawfish! I use FVWM, Fluxbox, IceWM and WindowMaker too when I feel like something different, but by far I use Sawfish the most.