window 2000 professional not pinging my window 98 system.

Hello,

We someone help me resolve this problem. I have window 2000 professional, windows 98 and Unixware 7.0.1 on the network. I was able to establish connection with all. However, l was unable to ping window 98 from window 2000 professional. I was able to ping the window 2000 from the window 98. I could also ping the unix box from any of the windows systems. My problem now is that l can't ping from the window 2000 professional to the window 98. What can really cause this problem?

Thanks

Kayode

one of your windows systems is mis-configured.

i wish i could give more help but your gonna have to ask on a windows specific board. this forum is really for windows & dos issues RELATING to unix... someone here though may be able to give you a hand.

Hi ,

thats happens a lot on windows environment , check cable and make sure switch is workin aight too . if those 2 are checked good then try un-installing network driver at windows 2000 then restart then re-install nic driver , coz u said u were able to ping before . make sure also u dont have an IP conflict . Also try pinging the card by itself make sure u dont have lost packets heres the command ping loopback or ping 127.0.0.1 standard nic loopback test to ensure that the card did not break .

regards ,

AFAIK, loopback is software driven not hardware. maybe in windows this is different however.

yes on all windows environment we actually use ping loopback or 127.0.0.1 to test the nic it self if it is good.
or u can actually ping what ever ip u assigned ur card. this loopback test is good when there running dchp server no need to look for its ip.

regards,
:slight_smile:

Thanks,

My Hub is okay. The cables are also okay.
I have tried pinging the lookback on all the three systems and have a reply. Also I have tried pinging its assigned IP address with also a reply. However, what is surprising is that the window 98 can ping the window 2000 professional why the professional can't ping window 98.

For instance under the network neigborhood the system can be seen.

Kayode

hi ,

ok so we know the card works . are u using static IP ? is this running on a domain ? if it is workgroup make sure that u assigned ip to all three computers they should have the same ip sequence and also the workgroupname should be the same .
u can use netbui protocol also if u want it to network too.

regards,

Thanks

The systems are not running on a domain.
The IP address is statically allocated e.g. 192.9.200.x
The systems are on the workgroup and also on the same subnet mask.
The configuration of the system is using the workstations to connect to Unixware server. Running Clients/server application.

Kayode

hi ,

make sure file sharing is enable at win98 , try goin //computername/sharedfolder @ run command .

regards

Okay, This question was posted six days ago, so I hope you've fixed it by now. If not, read on.

You said your boxen are statically assigned IP addresses under 192.9.0.0/16. These addresses are not generally considered local. They're likely trying to send packets through the default gateway, which is not very efficient, and usually not going to work.

RFC 1918 specifies that these networks are "internal;" anything outside your "local" IPs will be routed rather than directly connected.
IP range -------- netmask
10.0.0.0 -------- 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 ------ 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 ----- 192.168.255.255

That said, try reassigning IPs to those boxen under 192.168/16.

Thanks

The problem has been resolved.

Kayode