Why is sftp working but ftp not

I am not very familiar with the use of FTP, and trying to run it I found out that standard "ftp" is not working" but "sftp" is.
If sftp is allowed will that block ftp ? and if so where is this set ?
I thought there is no relationship, is that right ?
If so look here:
inetadm | grep ftp
enabled online svc:/network/ftp:default

and trying to ftp localhost I get:

server-manni2:/etc$ ftp localhost
Connected to localhost.
220 server.abc.def.com FTP server ready.
Name (localhost:manni2):
331 Password required for manni2.
Password:
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.
ftp>

thanks

Outside their similar names and interactive user interfaces, there is no relationship between ftp and sftp.

If ftp refuses your login, makes sure you provide the correct password, your account isn't black-listed for ftp (i.e. not present in /etc/ftpusers) and its login shell is valid.

sftp is actually ssh based rather than ftp, for example, WinSCP uses SFTP as it's default transfer method. This means if you can SSH to a node, you can SFTP files to/from it.

Hello,
I'm also not a ftp expert, but I believe You need to configure the FTP server.
here is a link to manual on Oracle Administering the FTP Server (Tasks) - System Administration Guide: Network Services

Most admins disable ftp because ftp transmits your password in the clear. I use scp which is much easier to use and is uses the same security as ssh. So if you setup ssh key they will work for scp as well.

The error response in post #1 just looks like a wrong password. Beware that some passwords which are valid unix passwords are not valid in ftp (even for the same account). Typical issues are passwords containing Shell special characters or passwords longer than 8 characters (6 characters on old systems).

Afterthought: You did type the password to account manni2 rather than just hit the return key?

@bitlord: the ftp service isn't disabled in the OP case.

@methyl: have you references of the password processing discrepancy you are mentioning ? That would be quite a serious bug and in any case shouldn't apply to Solaris which uses the very same method to check login credentials and ftp ones.

@jlliagre
Hmm. There was a recent post from someone who had a dollar sign in their password. Try it on your version of Solaris, it might work or it might not. Depends on the version of Solaris and the context.

A hash sign in a password is fun. Try it.

The password-length issue is nothing new.

Let's see what Solaris version the O/P posts.
Let's see if the O/P didn't type the password.

Can you post a link to this posting ?

I never heard of problems with '$' in passwords unless when poorly written shell scripts were involved in the process. This should not be the case with the OP question.

'#' used to be interpreted as the erase character by archaic Unix implementations (eg: Unix version 7) but this should be irrelevant with Solaris.

The password length issue you are referring to doesn't prevent users to authenticate when they enter the password they think is correct.

@jlliagre
I didn't say that his ftp was not running only that he needed to configure the ftp setup. I was in a class where the instructor had instructions for Solaris 9 & below. So it didn't quite work on Solaris 10 that was in class. I don't remember how I fixed the lab, but there was a little more to it, then just starting one service.

@jlliagre
The hash character issue (and some other characters) is a function of the tty driver. If you are not using the tty driver (e.g. for telnet), you won't have seen the problem.

It is quite possible to have an account password which will work at the login prompt but which can't be typed as an ftp password after logging in. e.g a character which appears in stty -a .

I can't find that post about a dollar sign, but the O/P fixed it by changing the password.

Indeed, but that seems quite far-fetched.

@All,
thanks for responding and all the good information or possibliy errors you all mentioned.
In the meantime I found out that the security software (CA's etrust), which is installed there, did block the ftp account so I had to allow "ftp user " there and then I did work.