Whats Behind Your Name?

Looking at the member list, there are alot of interesting names, some unique, some bizarre, and some that are just plain. How did you come by your name? Why did you choose your label?

Me? Well, I wish I could change mine. I chose Google because thats how I stumbled upon this site. I wasn't sure if this was a site I wanted to register with so I didnt use a meaningful name since I was sure I wouldnt be back!! As it turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong. I now have unix.com as my homepage and there are very few days that I dont actually learn something new from what I've read. For that I say Thank You to each and every member that has contributed to this forum!

Anyway, whats your story?

Well, mine I guess is sadly one of the plain ones.

It was given to me at birth so that limited my options later on.

I didn't think either that I'd frequent the site as much as I do; had I, I might have used a differnt label.

unix.com is a great site and we are all better for it.

i am very interested in germanic and scandinavian culture.

i just used it 'cause og GNU and Nerd , hence gnerd

Mine is a collection of random names...I used to imitate Al Mcafee from "In Living Color" (you know the guy with the limp and the megaphone).
Then I saw Austin Powers and thought it was amusing how he said "danger is my middle name. no, it really is". So I picked up danger.

I went to sign up for a service on a web site (can't remember which) and dangeral was already taken, so I took dangral..

But that was about seven years ago when I was a senior in high school. Like, many others I don't think the name is so cool anymore. It just easy to remember.

Used this one when my original account stopped working - and RTFM was already taken at that time.

A big Thanks to Neo for setting up and running this site.

My name means: always faithful
Its an abbreviation of the Latin phrase Semper Fidelis

basically i got it coz it was said in a game (Metal Gear Solid 2 i think :s ), it's just kinda stuck since then!

Mark

Hmm, I would have guessed you served in the Military, as a Marine since they use the term Semper Fi as well. I have heard many different sayings, one of which is, "Semper Fi, Do or Die, Gung ho, Gung ho".

Mine is just a random thing. I had to register a domain, and was trying to think of a unique name. So Zazzybob it was (hence zazzybob.com). I now use it for most things I need to register for because it's unique.

And no, my name is not Bob!

Cheers
ZB

Hi.
I am 37 and consider myself a student to of UNIX, havent got much far with the exams but have certainly learned a lot from trail and error and ofcourse this wonderfull forum.

....still figuring out

mine came from a car. My first car had the letter on teh number plate WFY . so some of my mates started calling me woofie.

\

Hello!

It is a really interesting to read where the names come from.

Well my name is from a person in the book "neuromancer" from William Gibson (some will know it i think). I love reading. Mostly Science Fiction, Fantasy or some comics and so i often take the names from persons in books i like.

I hope there will be more name descriptions soon.

CU

count_zero

I like man utd football star:cantona.
so i take it as my name

There is rather long story to mine. I am a fan of the horror genre and thus I am a fan of HP Lovecraft. Lovecraft wrote horror stories for magazines. And he used the "universe" concept. That is all of his stories happened in the same universe and elements and characters from one story would find their way into another story. And he encouraged other authors to use these elements as well. One such element was the Necronomicon, an evil book of great power. He even had a fictitious history of the book which was so scholarly that many people took it as real. Lovecraft said it started with a some mad poet who was inspired by a nameless demon. He later fessed up and admitted that he dreamed the whole thing up. Despite that some people saw him as writing documentaries and believed the book to be real.

Later, some joker actually wrote a Necronomicon and made a small fortune by selling it to people who thought it was real. Rather than thanking a "nameless demon", he thanked "the demon Perderabo". This is where I first heard the name.

Apparently he did not dream up "Perderabo", rather it's a name of some very obsure demon. And the original myth inspired some weirdo named Alister Crowley to call himself "Perdurabo". I'm not sure if Crowley was just a bad speller or if he was trying to be a bit original. Actually, since it's an ancient Arab legend, there are probably mutiple ways to spell it in English. Just like Kaddafi, Qaddafi, etc.

Anyway, in the 90's, I would sometimes play an online game called dikimud. I played a mage and used the name Perderabo. Then I started using it for other stuff. And that's the whole story. Aren't you sorry you asked? :smiley:

Neo,

From the Matrix of course :slight_smile: (you knew that already didn't you?)

Anamika means "nameless" or "one without name" in Sanskrit.

:smiley: Mouin 05/28/68
thanx moxxx68:)

Ygor is Dr Frankenstein's sinister assistant (in the films - not the book). Why choose that name? Well, I like to play the fool sometimes and the name came from a short exchange between myself and my wife...

Me: (Lurching into the room, adopting gravel-voice) "Here is your sandwich Oh Mighty Mistress of Darkness!"
Her: "Thank you Ygor, that will be all."

Danny_10 was supposed to be Danny, but since there was a Danny already registered, I chose Danny_10 because:

1. I was 10 years old when I stumbled upon UNIX ages ago.

2. 10 computers in my house.

3. 10 unique operating systems I've ran.

4. 10 Norton Anti-Virus programs I've used (including those old floppies that scan your hard disk drive).

well,
my nickname is a shortform of my surname. nearly everyone except my own family calls me pressy. some of my friend don't know my first name, even my girlfriend didn't know my "real" name for the first 4 weeks. my colleagues call me pressy, and my teachers also called me pressy and my boss calls me pressy
PRESSY PRESSY PRESSY PRESSY PRESSY PRESSY
hmmmm, what is my name? can't remember......
PRESSY PRESSY PRESSY PRESSY PRESSY PRESSY
so don't be surprised if i don't listen to you if you call me by my first name....

greetings PRESSY