What is the way to get a total count of students and with highest marks from a file?

I have different things that I was trying to do but am kind of struggling with this since I'm a Linux noob. I have a files with student names ,marks,year school the . What is the most efficient way to get a total count of students and student with highest marks

Initially I tried to get a count and pipe it out, but was at a loss as to how to get a count of the students only enrolled in one class, but this is where I am at now.

School.txt

name,marks,year,school
abhi,95,2001,pda
ram,96,2002,nv
raghu,97,2003,noble
prasanna,85,2004,sbr
pras,85,2004,sbr
ravi,86,2006,sbr
sanju,75,2009,sbr
abhilash,60,2000,sbr
prashant,99,2010,hgus
geeta,97,2011,klms

1. print total number of schools

cut -d"," -f4 ram.txt |sort |uniq | grep -v "School" | wc -l

1. print the senior most student name and junior most student name

Do not post classroom or homework problems in the main forums. Homework and coursework questions can only be posted in this forum under special homework rules.

Please review the rules, which you agreed to when you registered, if you have not already done so.

More-than-likely, posting homework in the main forums has resulting in a forum infraction. If you did not post homework, please explain the company you work for and the nature of the problem you are working on.

If you did post homework in the main forums, please review the guidelines for posting homework and repost.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums.