what is the use of /etc/project file and project administration commands?

i have two doubts..

1. what is the use /etc/project file. i renamed this file and when i tried to switch user or login with some user account the login was happening slowly. but when i renamed it to original name it was working fine... why so?

2. unix already has useradd and grouadd for user administration. what is the use of project related commands like projadd projmod.. which scenario i would be needing it.

Thanks in advance

Solaris 10+ Resource Management

Hi bartus11.. how are you.. :slight_smile:
now doing more devil works with solaris. hope you remember the last... mount issue :stuck_out_tongue:
this time i renamed /etc/project file and user login was happening but it was slow.
any comment on this issue?

---------- Post updated at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:20 PM ----------

@bartus11.. the link explains about project.. but i want to know why we need such project concept.. it would be nice you give some real time example where we would want a project to be created.

I don't know why logging in was slow after renaming the /etc/project file. As for the purpose of project concept - it is needed for the resource control on a server where multiple applications share limited resources. It is to prevent situation in which one very "hungry" application takes away all the CPU time or memory or other resources present on the server, making it impossible for other applications to run properly.

1 Like

Thanks as always Bartus :slight_smile: