What is the procedure to reboot cluster nodes

Hi

we have 2 solaris 10 servers in veritas cluster.
also we have oracle cluster on the database end.
now we have a requirement to reboot both the servers as it has been running for more than a year.
can any one tell what is the procedure to bring down the cluster services in both the nodes and the reboot procedure?
if you need any command output from the servers let me know

just reboot the nodes... the cluster software should handle the rest.

You should probably review the cluster configuration before you do anything. Be sure to know the servicegroups and the dependencies and how they are going to react to a reboot. From all of my years as an SA, I found that fully trusting what others have done before me only results in a lot of pain. But, I work in a large environment of 4000+ servers with 1000+ clusters of all shapes and sizes. If you have specific questions, post them.

hi
in aix normally we do # smitty clstop in both the nodes before go ahead with the reboot ?. Similarly what is the procedure in veritas cluster

Take a look at the

hastop

command.

I don't know what clstop does. But, if you want to offline all of the servicegroups and shutdown the cluster you can run

hastop -all

Or, run

hastop -local

on each node. If you add a

-force 

to it, only the cluster will shut down. The servicegroup will remain online. But, I don't think that you wan that.

Not knowing your cluster configuration, I would think that you would want to run

hastop -local

on each cluster node to let VCS offline the servicegroups. You will need to know what's controled by VCS and what's not. I see many times that Oracle RAC is outside of the cluster. Then you might have a DBA shut down RAC.

Every cluster is different .. I've seen some database clusters that the only thing the cluster controls is the filesystems. (Like that's not a disaster waiting to happen.. ). In that particular case, off-lining cluster resources without DBA involvement could make for a bad day :slight_smile: Since it looks like you might not be familiar with the nuances of this cluster, here's what I consider the safe route for DB servers:

Do hastatus -sum, and note the group that controls the database. Then look at

/etc/VRTSvcs/conf/config/main.cf

and see what that group actually does (or look via the hagrp and hares commands). Assuming the database itself is controlled by the cluster, bring it down like this -

In one window:

tail /var/VRTSvcs/log/engine_A.log

In another:

hastop -g <database group> -sys <system its running on>

Watch hastatus, and/or the log file you're tailing. If things go down smoothly, then great. If it hangs up waiting on the DB, let the DBA do their thing. The log will usually tell you everything you need to know. Be patient, depending on the DB, it can take a long time to come down.

Once the cluster and the DBA are both satisfied that the DB is down, you can usually then do a hastop -all, and the cluster should pretty easily take care of the dependencies. Wait for it to complete, and help it along if necessary using the info from the log file you're tailing.

Personally, if I'm not 100% comfortable with the system I'm on, I'm paranoid. In that case I like to do everything with cluster nodes one at a time. So offline all resources on all nodes of the cluster and stop VCS, then shut down one node, then the next, etc. Same on the way up. Bring up nodes one at a time, if you want to be extra careful. Let VCS find its brain on one node before another tries.

I've brought down CFS nodes at the same time, and end up with goofy fencing issues. (in hindsight I should have fully closed out gab and llt). It's never happened when I bring them down one at a time, so if I have the time, I like to do it that way.

Anyway, hastop -all would probably work just fine on a properly configured cluster. The fun is when the cluster isn't properly configured. And unless you know for sure either way, it's best to play it safe.

Hi. Thanks for your valuable suggestions. Im pasting the output from both the servers

================================================================================
CLUSTERNODE:cdbpsdb02:# hastatus -summary

-- SYSTEM STATE
-- System               State                Frozen

A  cdbpsdb02         RUNNING              0
A  cdbpsdb03         RUNNING              0

-- GROUP STATE
-- Group           System               Probed     AutoDisabled    State

B  AFASIT          cdbpsdb02         Y          N               ONLINE
B  AFASIT          cdbpsdb03         Y          N               ONLINE
B  FNTSIT          cdbpsdb02         Y          N               ONLINE
B  FNTSIT          cdbpsdb03         Y          N               ONLINE
B  RACSIT          cdbpsdb02         Y          N               ONLINE
B  RACSIT          cdbpsdb03         Y          N               ONLINE
B  SITFLASH        cdbpsdb02         Y          N               ONLINE
B  SITFLASH        cdbpsdb03         Y          N               ONLINE
B  cvm             cdbpsdb02         Y          N               ONLINE
B  cvm             cdbpsdb03         Y          N               ONLINE
================================================================================

CLUSTERNODE:cdbpsdb03:# hastatus -summary

-- SYSTEM STATE
-- System               State                Frozen

A  cdbpsdb02         RUNNING              0
A  cdbpsdb03         RUNNING              0

-- GROUP STATE
-- Group           System               Probed     AutoDisabled    State

B  AFASIT          cdbpsdb02         Y          N               ONLINE
B  AFASIT          cdbpsdb03         Y          N               ONLINE
B  FNTSIT          cdbpsdb02         Y          N               ONLINE
B  FNTSIT          cdbpsdb03         Y          N               ONLINE
B  RACSIT          cdbpsdb02         Y          N               ONLINE
B  RACSIT          cdbpsdb03         Y          N               ONLINE
B  SITFLASH        cdbpsdb02         Y          N               ONLINE
B  SITFLASH        cdbpsdb03         Y          N               ONLINE
B  cvm             cdbpsdb02         Y          N               ONLINE
B  cvm             cdbpsdb03         Y          N               ONLINE
0:0:0 /

Is it fine if I follow the below procedure. please advise

CLUSTERNODE:cdbpsdb02:# hastop -local
Wait for 10 minutes
CLUSTERNODE:cdbpsdb03:# hastop -local
Wait for 10 minutes
CLUSTERNODE:cdbpsdb02:# init 6
CLUSTERNODE:cdbpsdb03:# init 6

Yup - though instead of waiting for 10 minutes, just run hastatus -sum every so often. Once you see all of the resources are offline on that node, then have the DBA verify that everything is indeed shut down, and then you can safely init 6.

Note that once the hastop -local completes, hastatus will give an error message that it is unable to connect. This is normal, as the daemon it connects to is no longer running.

Make sure you have a DBA on the hook just in case something doesn't come down properly.