What is an "Illegal Instruction -Core Dumped"

Hai!

i am working on Digital UNIX V3.2c Work station, my program uses Pro*C, C and X-Motif calls. i am facing problem while running application saying "Illegal Instruction Core Dumped".
debugger dbx shows error at a line which shows "noname". when commenting large portion of the code it runs successfully and the code is quite large consisting of about 300 files the same is working perfectly fine when compiled and executed on Windows NT/ XP with Exceed( an X window emulation and development environment on PC).

Please advice what to do and i would like to understand when this type of error occurs.

Regards,
Sam .N

Your process is dying because it recieved a SIGILL. If that came from the kernel, it means your process tried to execute an illegal instruction.

I don't use debuggers, so I cannot comment on that "noname". But you would appear to have a bug in your code.

My best guess is that you overran an automatic array and clobbered a return address on the stack. Later, a return statement will take a flying leap rather than returning to a caller.