What if I have a really, really, really, old DOS?

Lately I've been trying to fix a 1991 Packard Bell, it's been running fine, but it's eating my memory for fun and taking away my pages. Is it worth my time trying to fix it, and is it possible to put new programs on it? thank you

Good luck trying to get that thing to run anything remotely recent. Perhaps if you upgraded to the latest edition of MS-DOS or installed DR-DOS (it's free, you know), you might get some use out of it.

But I'm interested in old hardware -- what're the specs like on it?

I wouldn't waste my time on it. DOS is oldddddddddd (still more stable than Windows :slight_smile:

U might get win 95 or at least win 3.11 to run on it :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies... I'm just having fun on the old thing it still has some games I enjoy. It is an MS-DOS, but a really old MS-DOS.:smiley:

older versions of DOS were made deliberately incompatible with newer versions, also PC-DOS (IBM's rival proprietary DOS) made it all the more incompatible!

why not get either DR-DOS, FreeDOS, OpenDOS or all three? they are all designed to be totally MS-DOS compatible, they are all free, i think at least one of them is open source, and since they are newer versions of DOS, you may find that they are compatible with more things than any MS-DOS is, also i think it would be fun to get an old version of windows running on top of one of these non-micro$oft DOS systems!

OpenDos is what DR-DOS was formerly. They changed the name because it was NOT free and NOTopen source. (please correct me if i am wrong). FreeDOS is both free and open-source (i'm pretty sure)

I might get the DR-DOS, but where in can I get it, do they still sell things that old? While I was 'playing' with the old computer I think I earsed some really good things that I totally forgot that I had...:rolleyes:

DR-Dos

a good link for dos stuff:
dos stuff

cool dos gui:Seal

(there is a bit of conflict with the develpoers, but it is still a nice proggy)

you could probly use a unix from the console on it too. FreeBSD is good for oldies, although I have a P MMX 166MHZ (maybe 200MHZ) and 32 MB of RAM running redhat for a proxy/web server. I had to updrade from 16 to 32 MB RAM to put redhat on it though. FreeBSD will run on anything with at least 4 MB of RAM (but to run the installer you need 5 MB).

thanks for the advise guys, I'm taking anything and trying everything.:smiley: