What are your thoughts about the new Discourse forum?

Hi,

I just want to motivate all, to write what your experience is with the new discourse forum. The positive to share experience and joy and the negative to open possibilities for improvements or maybe just to share your difficulties with it.

For me...

• I had a little resistance within myself at the beginning, because it's new and I didn't like the investment to learn something new, which I only want to do if I choose to do. But after this little phase I'm very happy.
  • I like Markdown very much. It's easier to directly write posts. Less characters needed than BBCode from vbulletin.
  • Overall more pleasant user experience with the interface.
  • I like the syntax highlighting(And yes, I know that had been discussed before and I know the reasons, why this hadn't been implemented before)
  • I was irritated in trying to contact another user here and did not find a way to do that. So I went back to the old forum and wrote a PM there. Probably it is not enabled here for all user groups.
  • I like the dark themes very much
  • I was a bit irritated with the migration weekend and wondered if the migration was actually done and accomplished successfully, so I waited some days before writing again.
  • I like the integrated preview feature.

I was very impressed about the migration speed.

Thanks for you work Neo!

3 Likes

Everyone can send PMs here if trust_level_1 or greater.

This is built into the system to stop spammers.

I recommend all member from our original vB3 forum keep their username (not create a new account) if they want to keep their status.

People who create new account naturally will be treated as new users by the system; and people who recover their account as we have recommended, will have full status transferred from old vB forum.

Example of someone who created a new account:

Example of someone who logged in here using their original username from vb forum:

1 Like

@Neo: Thanks for the details!

What I further like is that firefox is (currently?) fully supported! (Even if it's days may be numbered :cry: )

5 posts were split to a new topic: [MadeInGermany: Missing [ in Migrated Code

Hi MadeInGermany,

Code-Formatting ist done via triple-backticks at the start and at the end of the code

1) Inline-Code-Tags

Inline Code formatting is done be prepending and appending triple-backticks directly at the word:

How the post is written

This is the ```jq``` command.

How the post looks like

This is the jq command.

2) Block-Code tags

A block of code uses triple backticks too but those are written into a separate line before the code line(s) and into a separate line after the code line(s).

How the post is written

```
awk '{print $1}' </etc/fstab
```

How the post looks like

awk '{print $1}' </etc/fstab

To write some text unparsed, so one really sees how it is written, I'm using html - pre tags.

<pre> ... </pre>

(Is there something better?)

Quoting can further by done by using \ (=backslash) before special characters like \``` to escape ``` (triple-backticks)

A good summary of markdown I use very often is the markdown cheat sheet:

Maybe we'll have some own documentation here soon :wink:

Common markdown documentation also mentions single backticks for code-formatting. Neo asked to refrain from using that, because of some trouble in causing wrong presentation of inline code.

3 Likes