What anti-virus to use with Ubuntu

Greetings

I just installed Ubuntu 9 on my computer and need to know what anti-virus software to use. I have been using Avast anti-virus on my other comps for years and really like it. I have not tried it with Ubuntu yet but it says for Windows based systems.

Any ideas are appreciated
Thanks
Rex.

There aren't really that many viruses for Linux as there are for Windows, and due to that not many AV programs. ClamAV is one of the few, has pretty good reviews (even compared to "professional" products), regular updates, plus it's Open Source. Just check your repo for it and a nice GUI.

I used to use F-Prot worked real good, if you want a GUI you can get QT-Fprot. I did scans weekly but after a year or so I gave up, as stated above theres really no need to have an AV in Linux, Yes there are Linux/Unix viruses, but someone running Win with a totally locked down system will have an infection issue LONG before you have one without.

Clam av is a good one to use.

Clam AV has had ups and downs. It is not really as "up to date" as some other products, and it is pretty hard to run an open source antivirus as many times the issue is getting samples of malware.

However, unless you intend to protect files for Windows users, the general rule is that you do not need an antivirus on Linux. Viruses are way more of an issue on Windows and on Linux you should be more concerned with best practice security techniques such as limiting the rights of users to only what they need, keeping directory and file permissions in check and not running as a super user unless it is necessary.

Checking scripts and checksums for values you trust and keeping adequate backups of your data are also very important.

Hi i use klamav (works fine in gnome as well as kde), its a front end to clamav and saves having to set it up, but as stated before you really only need it to prevent passing viruses to other windows users from windows users, email etc..
There is also avg for linux which i havent tried
AVG Free - Download installation files & documentation