VXVM in POWERHA 6.1

I have created a VxVM disk group in AIX7.1. I have tried to added this VxVM disk group in powerHA 6.1. But in cluster VxVM DGs are not listing. Is there any other procedure to add vxvm diskgroup to hacmp.

Please share me steps for adding vxvm diskgroup to hacmp.

HACMP does not deal with disks (disk devices), it only deals with volume groups. Basically, a "resource group" in HACMP is:

• a bundle of filesystems, organized in certain volume groups
  • a number of processes to be started/stopped
  • an (several) IP addresses to serve up data/services

When a resource group starts: the VGs are activated (varyonvg), the respective filesystems are mounted, the processes are started (via start-scripts) and the IP-address is activated on some interface.

When the resource group stops this process is reversed: the IP address is deleted from the interface, the processes are stopped (via stop-scripts) and the filesystems are unmounted, then the VGs are deactivated.

How and from what devices these VGs are built is transparent for HACMP. The only requirement is that HACMP is able to activate the VGs from every cluster node.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

HI,

Yes I got it. But I have to add VXVM VG into resource group. Hacmp not detecting the vxvm vg.

Is there any additional step do i need to add.

I am not sure what you mean. HACMP won't "detect" any VGs. You have created a VG and some filesystems within the VG, yes? You (try to) create a resource group including this VG, yes? or are you talking about clharvest_vg ? Might your problem be similar to (or even exactly) this APAR?

Please describe your system better (if any of the following would yield sensitive data, feel free to edit the output prior to posting):

• issue a lspv | grep -v None What is the output?

• use /usr/es/sbin/cluster/utilities/cl_exportdefinition to create an XML-config file for your cluster and post it here.

• issue an lsvg <VGinquestion> and post the output here

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Hi,

I have attached logs. VG created in VXVM not in LVM. While adding VG in Resource group VGs(vxvm) are not listing.

hdisk19,hdisk20 are using for creating VG.

regards

I am wondering why in the world are you using vxvm with HACMP? veritas has is own clustering software.

Since its not using native logical volume manager, I doubt it will work smoothly.

You may need to install some additional software packages for HACMP to undertake vxvm as its local LVM.

Best is open a call with IBM and ask them.

+1 from me. First, i cannot understand why one would want to replace the arguably best LVM in the industry on its native system with something else. Second, if you really have to, why son't you use the complete Veritas suite, Veritas Volume Manager and Verita Cluster, iinstead of coupling the volume manager of one company with the HA-software of the other.

This is in itself the recipe for disaster, even if it miraculously works. Whenever something goes wrong, you will have the IBM support pointing to Veritas' VM and the Veritas support pointing to IBMs HACMP.

After some asking around: knowbody has ever seen it, but "in theory" this should work and, yes, there is some special software needed. My suggestion is to remove VXVM and use AIX native LVM, though.

I hope this helps.

bakunin