Volume Groups and the SAN

Hello all. I have a perplexing problem

I have an AIX 5.1 system on an EMC SAN.

This system had been on a CX400 SAN for several years. The system was migrated to a CX700 just over a week ago. The migration consisted of utilizing on of the HBAs in the system and connecting to both SANs

The VGs were expaned and mirrored. Then the VGs were reduced and the old SAN removed. Then both HBA being connected to the new CX700.

Since the migration, when the system is booted, the VGs on the SAN do not come up active (this has happened twice), and, of course, the file systems don't mount.

I can export the VGs, import them, fix the /etc/filesystems file and then mount all of the FSs, but this is a pain.

The VGs are set to auto mount

Any insight into what might be happening is appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

This is just an assumption: every volume group has a "quorum" - the number of disks which have to be there so that the system assumes the volume group to be ok despite maybe disks missing. If you have extended the VG the system may have increased the quorum and may have not decreased it when you reduced the VG.

Issue "chvg -Qn <vgname>" to require no quorum to keep the VG online.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Thanks for the reply. I wish i could say that it worked, but, alas, it did not. Thanks anyway

Mike

To be honest: i have no idea. You might not want to hear that but: the problem sounds interesting. ;-))

Could you please post some information about the VG. What does the output of "lsvg", "lspv" etc., look like? If you export the VG are there any residues in the ODM?

bakunin

Hi

It could be a problem with ODM DB in AIX. When issuing:

lsvg -p <VGNAME>

do you get an error ??

Sorry for the delay in the response, but no, I do not receive and error when issuing lsvg -p <vgname>

Any errors prompted in the error log?

Best Regards,
Zac.

Nope. None at all.

I am planning on bringing down all volume groups, exporting them and removing all powerpath and SAN hdisk device and then running cfgmgr and powermt config and see if that resolves this. I'll post results

THis has been done teice. The second time we even removed the FC drivers and rediscovered everything and for some reason, the system is still referencing the old SAN. EMC and I have no idea where the system is still findin the reference to the old SAN.

After the reboot the old hdiskpower drives come back and show the WW name for the old SAN. Bizarre.

Anywho. Is anyone aware of a script that will allow me to import the volume groups on a reboot that I can incorporate into the inittab?

I rekon I would need one that inititally knows the correct PVID and verifies that before the import.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Mike

I suspect you need to correct the disk config and then run savebase.
The old definitions are probably still in the boot ODM and are being copied into the runtime ODM each boot.