Virtualize x86 on Sparc ?

Hello,
is it somehow possible to run a x86 Linux OS in a virtual machine in Solaris running on Sparc ? Virtualbox ? Containers ?

I know it would be easier just get a Intel hardware and run the Linux but I might be in a scenario where only Sparc hardware is allowed by corporate policy and still there is a need to run a Linux.

cheers,
Tex

What kind of server are you talking about? Branded containers that allow to run Linux applications are available only on Solaris running on x86. There is no SPARC version of VirtualBox. But there is hope.. :slight_smile: If your server is capable of hardware level partitioning (T series with former LDOMS - now Oracle VM Server for SPARC, or M series with Dynamic Domains), then you can create one small domain, in which you can install SPARC version of Linux.

Virtualbox runs only on x86 CPUs and containers can not emulate a different CPU architecture.

You could get a Sparc linux distribution, like Debian for Sparc, but I think, lx branded zones do not support Sparc. And by the way, lx branded zones are dying anyway (they are no longer supported on Solaris 11).

So I think you are pretty much out of luck.

ok thanks.

I actually need to run i386 or amd64 version of Linux (Debian). The scenario is basically that I have vmware images that need to be deployed in virtual machines.

I see that it's not really possible.

thanks

perhaps qemu can do it: The QEMU forum View forum - QEMU for Solaris (X86/Sparc)

If performance (usability even) is not a requirement, you might have a look at bochs: The Open Source IA-32 Emulation Project (Home Page)

ok thanks for the hints.