Vg not able access.

I created a new vg name oranewvg, created fs and mount it as /oranew
After the firmware upgrade on the ds5300, I am still able to see the vg as lsvg -o show still active, but I am not able to access the vg. lsvg oranewvg not working, varyon & varyoff also not working.
can some one advise??

I've just posted a brief outline for disk management concepts on your other thread http://www.unix.com/unix-for-beginners-questions-and-answers/272579-can-we-have-2-mount-point-under-same-name-but-different-directory.html?posted=1#post302997765

To help diagnose your issue, can you share the output (wrapped in CODE tags) for the following:-

lspv
lsvg -p oranewvg
lsvg -l oranewvg
df

Thanks, in advance,
Robin

Thanks Robin,

lspv -o
oranewvg
oraclevg
backupvg
rootvg

Any other command to oranewvg it will hang...

df there mount point is not mount.

---------- Post updated at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:34 PM ----------

I am not sure why there is 2 same name mount point..
I try to use Smit rmfs,but not able to select the fs as well..
Is it the only way is we need to shutdown the server and set the mount point not mount when the server start?

Could you post the output from lspv? I think you have posted output from lsvg only. Do the lsvg commands with flags cause a hang?

..... and please wrap the output in CODE tags. You can easily do this by highlighting your code and then clicking on the # in the editing menu. (You can also type code tags

```text
 and 
```

by hand.)

Robin

1 Like

Sounds like a volume group lock, can be remedied with a varyonvg

I had this before after a disk subsystem failure and a drive showing as missing rather than active on a remote mirror. I had to use "-c" on the varyonvg though as it was a concurrent volume group

Run it as a background process and see if there are any sync processes running

HTH

1 Like

Hi Guys,
After a reboot done on the server, I am able to access the VG again, in fact while I am trying to shutdown the server it self, it hang and take long time till I need to force shutdown from HMC.
Thanks a lot guys.

First off, i am glad you could resolve your issue. But: a reboot is (most times) not the way to resolve things. After all, we are not on Windows - we use a real OS with real error-correcting capabilities.

Most probably your issue came from a "VG lock". The SCSI-protocol (which is also used with FC-connected disks as "iSCSI") can lock a disks so that any other attempt to use it will fail. You need such locks for disks which are accessed from more than one system, like in clusters. Sometimes such a lock is placed wrongly and not removed so that it prevents further management of the disk. You need to break such a lock before continuing.
You do that by

varyonvg -bu <VG>

I hope this heps.

bakunin

1 Like