Utility or script for renaming files on UNIX web server

Greetings!

Does anyone know of a utility or a script for renaming files on a UNIX web server? I've seen several of these types of renaming utilities for Windows, but none for UNIX. I have 10,000 files that I need to rename in a several tier (deep) web site directory. I have the original names/new names and directory paths documented in MS Access tables. If I could find a tool that would automate this renaming process... even if I need to enter each file name to find and replace, I would be tres happy.

Any advice?

Thanks!!
~Rachel

Hi!!,
frankly speaking.. I donno much about databases and MS Access. So, it would be much easier if u can somehow port the contents of the database to a simple unix file. Then a simple script can be used to change the file name depending upon the shape of the file and position of the columns.

I have a vague idea... but that might help you..I remember, one of my windows savvy client wanted my application to generate reports on Linux which can be open in Excel. All I had to do in that case was to separate the rows with a tab while generating the reports and that worked fine on Excel. Find out if you can do the vice versa.. I assume that the data in MS Access is displayed in Excel like format. If u can find a way to copy it to a Excel sheets, that might make ur life much easier..

Good Luck.. :slight_smile: