Using flar

Hi

I have systems running UFS and ZFS file system type, and I need to create images of them ( in HP-UX ) we call it ignite, but in my case I dont have tape drives attached to the servers. I have read about flar archives, but the do I have to create those images in single user mode or using the current run level?

Assuming you are on Solaris 10...
Check here:
Oracle Solaris 10 1/13 Installation Guide: Flash Archives (Creation and Installation) - Oracle Solaris 10 1/13 Installation Guide: Flash Archives (Creation and Installation)
and here:
Oracle Solaris ZFS Administration Guide - Oracle Solaris ZFS Administration Guide
first. If you have questions, come back.

To answer your question flash archives do not need to be created in single user mode. They can be created in multi-user mode BUT you should do that when the system is as quiet as possible, not under load.

1 Like

ok, so after creating a flar archive would it be possible to provision other servers with this flar file

Depends what you mean by "provision"?

Flash is usually used (1) for disaster recovery and/or (2) to clone a system.

Whether recovery or cloning the new system has the same node name, ip configuration, and other configs as the original. Be aware of that.

Why don't you want to do a fresh install?

what I really want is to have an image of 4 servers and keep it in another server on the network, or use one server as a template to create other installations

So if this other server has enough disk space to store the capacity of the four production servers, why don't you configure a NFS share (or 4 NFS shares) on it and backup each of them over the network? Does that do what you want?

2 Likes

I need to get to grips with NFS now, as I understand what I need to do is on each of the server, export the file system or dirrectory containing the flar archive to the server with lots of space...

---------- Post updated at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:42 AM ----------

I have now create a flar archive:

bash-3.00# flarcreate -n sol10_u9 -c -S -R / -x /flash /flash/sol10serv75.flar
Full Flash
Checking integrity...
Integrity OK.
Running precreation scripts...
Precreation scripts done.
Creating the archive...
cpio: File size of "var/adm/sulog" has increased by 66
cpio: Error with fstatat() of "etc/devices/snapshot_cache", errno 2, No such file or directory
52601901 blocks
2 error(s)
Archive creation complete.
Running postcreation scripts...
Postcreation scripts done.

Running pre-exit scripts...
Pre-exit scripts done.
You have new mail in /var/mail//root

the use the flar info

bash-3.00# flar info /flash/sol10serv75.flar
archive_id=f39f02dda1f30868701c2ff1122ad263
files_archived_method=cpio
creation_date=20180510085401
creation_master=nikira-db
content_name=sol10_u9
creation_node=nikira-db
creation_hardware_class=sun4v
creation_platform=sun4v
creation_processor=sparc
creation_release=5.10
creation_os_name=SunOS
creation_os_version=Generic_142909-17
files_compressed_method=compress
content_architectures=sun4v
type=FULL
You have new mail in /var/mail//root
bash-3.00#

but I am not sure about rthe integrity of the archive

Why are you unsure about the integrity of the flash archive? What makes you think that there may be a problem?

If you really want to test, take a copy of the archive and then try and split it. If it will split without error then it is good.

See this thread and my post#22:

1 Like