Using Firefox/Chatzilla on standalone

Hello!

I am trying to perform a test using chatzilla, the problem is my machine is not on a network so I am trying to prove I can communicate through local host. This way it will hit the nic go through and come back on the other side. All the configurations I have tried irc.local.host:6667 and a couple others fail when trying to allow connection.

I have eth0 set to 127.0.0.1 ip address and my firewall turned off during testing.

Any ideas?

Don't set eth0 to 127.0.0.1, set it to 192.168.0.100 or something like that. You can connect to that just as well without worrying about conflicting with the lo device.

And make sure the name you're connecting to is in /etc/hosts, otherwise it'll have no way to know what you want.

Thank you for your response.

When I bring up chatzilla and configure global settings startup it is looking for a URL. I am using local.host so what should the address look like?

Then I add the address into my /etc/hosts file?

You would add a record into /etc/hosts such that you use your IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.100 as suggested above)

192.168.0.100       local.host

If there are already entries in here, that should not be a problem, unless they use the same name.

I hope that this helps,
Robin

You can put an IP address into a URL.

Thank you I am getting further, the log says

cz: can't send to disconnected socket
cz: sendQue flushed

What log?

What exactly are you doing, word for word, letter for letter, keystroke for keystroke?

What does netstat -an show? Is anything listening on the IP and port you expect?

I am not connected to a network, after with all your guys help getting it atleast to use local host I am running into an error while chatzilla tries to connect

addond.productaddons WARN failed to download XML, status:0, reason: error

1 Like

"addond.productaddons" sounds like, to make a wild guess, chatzilla is attempting to phone home for updates.

I thought the same thing, I disabled updates in Firefox but still receive the error. In chatzilla it just keeps saying unknown command. after launching firefox and launching the chatzilla plug in it takes about 3 - 5 minutes and then gives the error about XML.

Have you tried any IRC client besides chatzilla? A non browser-based one. Or even telnet. Your IRC server may actually be working already.

That may be the case in the future however at this point it is customer driven to use chatzilla

All right, but can you use some other client - or even telnet - to verify that your IRC server is working?