Using Another Account as Internet Proxy

OK, I'm here and willing to help.

I have read the thread now and - without even knowing the topology of the network - i have absolutely no idea what could be done. "Proxies" are usually protocol-specific (like "http-proxy", etc.). Basically a proxy is a multihomed host claiming to be the addressee of an IP packet not really addressed to it. Maybe a picture helps:

host_intern <-------> proxy <---------> host_extern

When host_intern tries to contact host_extern the proxy instead answers, claiming to be host_extern. The proxy then contacts host_extern claiming to be host_intern, relays the request, takes the answer host_extern gives and then sends this to host_intern. Host_intern gets some answer to its request but the traffic is (silently) routed through proxy.

There are different kinds of proxies (for various protocols), one of the last developments are so-called "transient SSL-proxies", which do the proxying for SSL-connections. This way a company can effectively prevent that someone uses encrypted tunnels through their firewall to send/receive data without supervision.

Does this help? I know, there are no recipes for making it work again offered, but sometimes gaining understanding what goes on helps. Further, without more insight into the network topology and the intrinsics of the site it is nigh impossible to offer more than very general advice and/or explanations.

If you want the thread put somewhere else just say so - as long as the request is reasonable i will so without hesitation.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

1 Like