USB Pen Drive & Hard Disk

Hi Guys,

I have an external USB Hard Disk Drive on which I have 3 partitions and it works fine under Windows XP but when I am using Red Hat Linux 5 I don't see any icon for this USB HDD. Also I am not able to browse my USB Pen Drive. However, I can use it under Mandrake Linux without any problem. I need to use them with RHL 5 because I have tutorials in HTML, Tar and PDF formats on them which I want to use them in RHL 5 because for the time being I read some materials under Windows XP and then note down commands on a paper-sheet and then restart the system and boot from RHL 5 and practise them. :confused:

Kindly find a way for me to transfer those files to RHL 5 so that I can study and practise at the same time without having to restart the system over and again.

Thanks!

Dev.

Do you have a FAT32 parititon? Linux can read/write those. It can also read an NTFS paritition.

Therefore, either copy your files to the FAT32 parition, or to the NTFS paritition.
Then mount the partition by adding it to RH /etc/fstab.

NTFS can be mounted read-only. It cannot be written from RH
Linux. Follow instructions here to get your partition mounted.

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/instructions.html

Thanks Jim!

The partitions on My USB HDD and Pen Drive are of FAT32 type. Only some of the partions on my Fixed Hard Disk are of NTFS type which I don't really need to access in RHL 5.

So, I will try to mount my Pen Drive or USB HDD by adding them to RH/etc/fstab as you have sugegsted.

Thanks for the link. I am fidning it a little difficult for me to understand the NTFS thing so I will go for FAT32 because I am new to RHL 5 and UNIX.

I have got a USB Pen Drive [FAT32] and a USB Hard Disk Drive [External, of course] which has 3 partitions of which the 2nd one is of NTFS type and the other ones are of FAT32.

Well, I tried to mount the USB HDD but could not perform this task. I followed the procedure as mentioned in the 1.1 section on this page whic is also available in my documentation of GNOME Desktop under RH5.

Kindly refer to this manual:

Introduction

When I click the Add button to add the Disk Mounter [icon] to the Panel, it adds a white / blank space only. Nothing appears on the Panel. Why is the Disk Mounter not getting added to the panel? How else can I do it?

I have tried doing that using the root account also. But it was all in vain! :mad:

Can anybody help me, please?

you can use dmesg to find the usb devices and then use mount to mount them to your system. one thing i have found is some spotty usb 2.0 usability with some usb devices on RH.