Upgrading Ubuntu Server (10.04) using do-release-upgrade

I have a small server in work, essentially a desktop with Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS. For the first time in it's life, I've started to get errors when running scripts involving large files.

So before I give up on it, I was thinking of maybe getting the newer version of Ubuntu Server 14.04.

I was wondering if anyone has any reviews or experience of using do-release-upgrade?

I probably won't bother if it's prone to failure.

Thanks
cludgie

What errors are you getting? Are they just a space issue, because an upgrade will not help in this case or various others.

Please show us what you do to generate an error & the error message and we can consider what is really going on. Please paste code, input & output/errors in CODE tags.

Thanks, in advance,
Robin

Hi,

I haven't done it yet. I figured I'd find reviews or see what others experiences have been before I decide either way.

The errors I'm getting are IO errors, which I haven't seen before and they are encountered when processing large text files.

Thanks
Cludgie

Would you care to share the commands and errors? It's a bit difficult to form an opinion without them.

Robin

These are some of the commands that cause IO read errors. I ran them on a machine running 12.04 and they worked fine.

awk 'BEGIN { FS=","} NR == FNR{a[$0];next} $1 in a' TETHERING_MSISDN_DELETE.csv MSISDN_tariff_list_absolute.csv

perl -E 'my$sf=shift;my$cf=shift;open(my$s,"<",$sf);open(my $c,"<",$cf);my$cd=<$c>;my$sd=<$s>;until(0){if($cd<$sd){$cd=<$c>}elsif($cd>$sd){$sd=<$s>}elsif($cd==$sd){say$sd;$sd=<$s>}if(!$sd){exit}}' TETHERING_MSISDN_DELETE.csv MSISDN_tariff_list_absolute.csv

join -j 1 -t , TETHERING_MSISDN_DELETE.csv MSISDN_tariff_list_absolute.csv
join: read error: Input/output error

Thanks