Upgrading Solaris - what happens to zpool/zfs versions

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I've googled lots and don't think I can find an easy answer to this.

We're in the process of upgrading Solaris from v10 5/08 to v10 9/10. The zpools for luns are currently at version 10, and I understand Solaris v10 9/10 has support for zfs v4, zpool versions upto 22.

What i'm trying to find out is after upgrading via live upgrade and booting to the new Solaris 10 9/10 environment, will it attempt to upgrade all zpools automatically? I'm hoping not, as that would not allow me to roll back to the original environment (it wouldn't be able to import a zpool at a revision higher than one it can support).

Logic tells me that it shouldn't, but could anyone please confirm?

It does not upgrade zpools.

1 Like

thank you, simple answer I know. I just wanted confirmation from someone with a bit of experience with this process.

You can easily upgrade the zpool version to whatever the most current revision is that's supported on your platform. As the documentation says, you can upgrade but it's not backwards compatible.

Here's the Oracle link: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/gcikw/index.html