upgrading packages

Hello,

I am using Redhat Linux Enterprise 4 AS.

To upgrade NFS, I had to browse the internet and finally I got the latest rpm Red Hat Customer Portal - Access to 24x7 support and knowledge

That was a time-consuming procedure. On Solaris, I am used to go to sunfreeware.sun.com and download the latest version of a package.

I am not comparing Solaris and Linux but can you please tell me how you proceed when you want to upgrade a package?

Also, what is the official location to download rpms?

About Rpmfind.Net WWW Server a.k.a. Rufus.W3.Org
or
RPM Search

nfs-utils-1.0.6-84.EL4 was found in the second URL but not in the first one.

Thank you for your support.

try this command as root:

rpm -Uvh <rpm name>

to upgrade the package. You may wish to restart the service afterwards if the package does not for you with the:

service <service name> restart

command

thanks. but my question is how to get the latest version of a package and what the official redhat side to download this package?

thx

Normally, red hat does not provide these packages as rpm for download unless you have a support contract.
If you do have a support contract you must set up rhn in the /etc/sysconfig/up2date area.
Otherwise, an option is to get the packages from the CentOS team. Red hat provides source for the packages and CentOS is a distribution of Linux that aims to be as close to 100% binary compatible with RHEL at the same version level.

This is not a comparison between Linux and commercial UNIX in that Red Hat is a distribution of Linux and is not "Linux" in so much as it is not THE OFFICIAL LINUX and all others are derivative works. The methods for configuring them depend on the distribution's methods.

You could easily set up the RHEL servers to use yum and point to the CentOS repositories. However, that is slightly more involved than I care to explain in a single post. This is something you could probably read about elsewhere, however.