Upgrading from aix 5.3 to ?

Hey guys,

since AIX 5.3 reaches EOS on april 2012, I really need to update my systems asap.

Any experience on upgrading directly to 7.1, with sap/db2/oracle?

could do fresh installs and import my sap/db vgs, but this would be a lot of work

cheers Funksen

Never been in upgrade process for AIX before 5.3 to 7.1 directly I have the same configuration AIX 5.3 / SAP /Oracle and upgrade from 5.3 to 7.1 seems to be supported as far as I know.
Import sapvg and oravg , will defiantly work but as you said It will need more work.

I think EOS doesn't mean you are completely out of support , especially there are a lot of newer contracts still running 5.3

1 Like

yes it is possible to do it directly from 5.3 to 7.1 - IF you are absolutely sure that your applications are supporting the new AIX level and all your firmware is up to date - please see here.

If you use SAP than this is rather questionable as it doesn't only matter on which version you actually are, but as well in which order you might have application patches installed - some patch levels - even when only intermittently installed - can be migrated to 6.1 or 7.1, others cannot.

Additionally, I personally would never even try to do an AIX version upgrade with imported VGs.

If you have a strict separation from application data and OS data, than it might be a lot easier and faster to reinstall the OS from scratch and reimport the VGs. In my company we have a lot of inhouse software that only runs on specific OS versions per package - cleaning up a box, upgrading in place and than installing the new packages takes approx 3x the time it takes me to export the DBs / apps, than install the OS from scratch and than install the new versions.

Regards
zxmaus

1 Like

thanks for your helpful replies,

I think as long as the sap kernel is supported for 7.1 with the latest patches, there should be no problem with the upgrade to 7.1, but I have to test this of course, and check with IBM
theoretically we have a strict vg separation, BUT I'm sure in real, there are some files here an there in rootvg filesystems.. lets see :wink:

what do you think about Power HA 7.1, when upgrading to AIX 7.1, my thought was to also update the Cluster sw to 7.1

I'll keep you updated in this thread about the progress, I'll start in about two weeks with the first test systems

cheers

Good for you and keep posting here