unzip

Is there any way to uncompress files in winzip/pkzip format which contain mulitple members without using the "unzip" command?

I am not sure if understand your question...

Could you give a more detailed example of the problem?

I was able to zip up several files under Win32 and FTP them over to my FreeBSD machine and unzip them.

I don't have the command "unzip" on my machine and I am not allowed to install any new software (i.e. unzip). I can only use gunzip + your usual Unix command (eg perl).

I don't think that gunzip supports winzip format.

From the man page for gunzip.
"gunzip can currently decompress files created by gzip, zip, compress, compress -H or pack."

Pkzip may be supported, but it depends on your OS version. You might do a man on gunzip. If you are not allowed to load new software, you may be at an end.

How did you get this file to your UNIX box? Did you copy ftp/copy it somehow from a Windows system? If so, can you extract the file and then put it back on the server as a single file?

I believe keroppi may be at an end...

I found this at the http://www.gzip.org/\#faq website:

Can gunzip extract a .zip archive?
No. Use unzip instead. For Windows, use PowerArchiver 6.1 or WiZ (both freeware) or Winzip (commercial). 

I kind of solved this by writing a perl script. The script unbundles the file first by using the record separator "\x50\x4B\x03\x04". The script does rely on knowing the filenames in the zip file.

So you split the file into x number of files from the original zip file and then unzip the single files seperately?

Yes.

That is a very ingenius solution. I would have thought doing that would have corrupted some CRC the the zip file themselves. Pretty darn cool.

It does stuff up the CRC as I can't use winzip to unzip the file.
However, gunzip does care.

Once I get the regex right in my perl script, I will be able to extract the filename from the winzip file. One day......