Unix System Programming Book

Hi,

I've almost finished "Advanced Linux Programming" book. However, I feel as if I need dig deeper in IPC specially socket programming as well as multi-threading. Can anyone recommend a good book (preferably publically available)?

Perhaps:
Advanced UNIX Programming - Home

For IPC, I would recommend "Interprocess Communications in UNIX, the Nooks and Grannies" by John Shapley Gray (ISBN 0-13-899592-3)

Without one once of hesitation, this book is what you need:
The Linux Programming Interface, Michael Kerrisk, ISBN: 978-1-59327-220-3

Michael is the main author/maintainer of the Linux man pages. This book is brand new (published in October 2010), and focuses on the UNIX view of programming while also dealing with the Linux specifics. It covers in particular threads and all common IPCs/Sockets at length.

More dedicated book for IPCs on UNIX are the ones of Stevens; for (POSIX) threads, it's the Butenhof's classic: Programming with POSIX threads, ISBN: 978-0201633924. These books are a bit aged; but some topics covered therein are timeless.

HTH,
Lo�c

At $99.95 for the book I think most people will just pass on buying it.

You can get it for less than $60 on Amazon.
This is just a bit more than the Stevens or Butenhof's classics; but for the price you get a round-all 1552 pages about UNIX/Linux programming.

Cheers, Lo�c