UNIX source?

Where can one download the UNIX source code?

Thx

Linux source code is available from kernel.org. Commercial Unix vendors do not release their source for download.

ok thx

When I read that post, I woulda sworn that PxT was correct. But this weekend I bought a new book, Solaris Internals. The book mentions, incredibly enough, that the Solaris source code can be downloaded by individuals. I did some research on Sun's website and found that the book is correct and the source can be downloaded for free or obtained on media for $75.00.

To put some perspective on that, in 1987 the company I worked for bought a source code license for HP-UX and Ultrix. The cost exceeded one million dollars.

Click here for more information on obtaining Solaris source code.

The core of the Mac OS X kernel (Darwin) is also freely downloadable (the source). The value-proposition for Apple is the GUI and other non-OS icing on the OS.

Perderabo's reply about Sun's new policy also shows that Sun is shifting their value-proposition away from proprietary kernel source and looking to build future profits by adding value above the kernel.

There is little doubt in my mind that the movement to open-source for the core kernel code (open and extensible) and value added in the higher levels of the application stack is a path that will reap tremendous benefits to all network computing.

Please keep in mind that IBM is moving to Linux for many (if not most) of their classes of servers (and focusing on the value-proposition outside of the OS kernel).

HP (HP-UX) will need to follow soon (we hope!).

Here is an interesting article about IBM and Linux...... for those interested.

I see that the Sun link I posted no longer works :mad:

Some other options are mentioned in this thread.

Sharkbait, are you a teacher? :wink:

If you go to the freeBSD page (www.freebsd.org) or GNU Hurd (www.gnu.org, where you should go to the FreeDirectory page ) or NetBSD (www.netbsd.org) and go to the download pages you could find the source code of these unix systems.:slight_smile:

I've used the simulators proided here to bring up old Unix disk images, which are found here . If you want to poke around with the source of some of these old Unices, try http://www.tuhs.org. Make sure to read the documentation on the simulators first, though! It can be tricky.

Sun had terminated their program quite some time ago. I was lucky enough to have participated prior to their terminating the program. Anymore they only release the code to partners or educational institutions.

Cheers,

Keith