UNIX Printing

Greetings. Got a problem I'm working on, not that familiar with UNIX to be honest. We're having some issues printing from a UNIX Server, hoping someone can help. Here's the situation:
We have remote offices that use Microsoft Windows Remote Desktop Client to connect to a Windows 2003 Terminal Server. From this server they run a program on a UNIX server. When they try to print to their own printer located in the remote office (both local and networked) from the program on the UNIX server, it does not work. It appears to be sending the print job, but nothing happens. We've tested printing from the Terminal Server to the remote printer and it works fine. It's only the UNIX printing that is failing.

Is there anything that can be done on the UNIX server to get this printing working. Most people have local printers, but if it can work through TCP/IP, that would be fine as well. Thanks for any help.

MPW

the Unix server needs to be able to print to the printer ... i'm guessing it doesn't know about the printer the job is being sent to ... verify that you can print to the printer in question from the Unix command line and go from there ...

Thanks for the response Just Ice. Someone else is responisble for the UNIX server, I can't access it. Maybe I can ask another way?

Is it possible to print from a UNIX server to a public IP address with a specific port forwarded to a network printer??? If so, we could probably manage. The UNIX guys have been dragging their feet, but surely something like this is possible? If I know it is, I can go to them with a little more ammo.

Thanks.

MPW

i support people on the wintel side too and we've never been able to get any print jobs from the unix box without the unix box being configured for printing to a specific user printer ... i hate to say this but i think you need a match to light up your unix guys behinds to get them to help fix this problem for you ...

does the print server on unix having lpd daemon running ? also check the /etc/lpd.perms settings.

The below is my Print server copy of lpd.perms

#REJECT SERVICE=X NOT PORT=1-1023
#REJECT SERVICE=X NOT PORT=1-1023
# Privileged
#REJECT SERVICE=X NOT PORT=721-731
#
# allow root on server to control jobs
ACCEPT SERVICE=C SERVER REMOTEUSER=root
# allow anybody to get server, status, and printcap
ACCEPT SERVICE=C LPC=lpd,status,printcap
# reject all others
REJECT SERVICE=C
#
# allow same user on originating host to remove a job
ACCEPT SERVICE=M SAMEHOST SAMEUSER
# allow root on server to remove a job
ACCEPT SERVICE=M SERVER REMOTEUSER=root
REJECT SERVICE=M
# allow local job submissions only
#REJECT SERVICE=X NOT SERVER
# all other operations allowed
DEFAULT ACCEPT

this assumes that the person looking into the problem is a member of the unix group that has the ability to fix the problem on the unix server in question --- which is not the case here ...