Unix email facility

Dear all,

I am an inexperienced man with Macitosh and green in Apple OS X . I had tried very hard to use Unix, in fact the Terminal, with its Email function.

I read some books and came to know that it has Mail, mailx or mail functions that we can use for simple mail. I have try every effort yet could not get it works.

Is there any one could offer me a help.
Many thanks.

Hi,

You're not specifing any problem... what exactly are you facing ? Any error messages ? To use those utilities, you should configure your mail server... sendmail with a smart host, for example... otherwise, you can use outlook or mozilla...

Dear Jsilva,

Thanks for your reply.

I am using an iBook with Mac OS version 10.3. I have read the book from O'reilly which says we could use the Terminal for sending and receiving email with Pine, a text-based simple email software in most Unix. The author suggests that we could to get a free copy of Pine from website of Unix to which I did. I then follow the instruction of the book to install Pine with my Terminal. But it doesn't work. Following are the prompt and error messages.

Last login: Thu Jan 22 17:15:38 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
[Larry-LAMs-Computer:~] larrylam% fink install pine
sudo /sw/bin/fink install pine
Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password: *******
Information about 1116 packages read in 6 seconds.
The following package will be installed or updated:
pine
The following 2 additional packages will be installed:
ncurses-dev ncurses-shlibs
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Failed:
This package must be compiled with GCC 3.3, but you currently have 3.1 selected.
To correct this problem, run the command:

sudo gcc_select 3.3

You may need to install a more recent version of the Developer Tools to be able
to do so.

[Larry-LAMs-Computer:~] larrylam% sudo gcc_select 3.3
usage: gcc_select [-n] [-force] [2 | 3] [-h | --help] [-v | --version]
[-root] [ -nc | --no-color]
Invalid argument (3.3).
[Larry-LAMs-Computer:~] larrylam%

Ps: Before I installing Pine, I have installed lynx, a text-based web browser, and it works very fine with my iBook. If you need more detail, please drop me a mail at manholam@pacific.net.hk

Many thanks
Larry

Hi,

You need to install the XCode Tools... get it here http://developer.apple.com/tools/macosxtools.html .

Good luck !