Unix attacks in the last 5 years.

Hi,
Could anyone direct me to any sites that have any info on unix attcks or hacks in the last 5 years. This is needed for an assignment. All help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you looking for famous attacks? Or are you trying to gather a cross-section of vunerablilities in the last few years?

You might have a hard time finding a lot of informationon case-studies, since most companies don't really want to talk about their insecurities...

A good idea would be to utilize google... a sample quick search:
http://www.google.com/search?q=famous\+unix\+hacks

If you're looking for specific information on old vunerabilities, check rootshell.org. I don't know if it's still up, but I don't think they've updated in months even, maybe years...

A more current site with tons on information is packetstormsecurity.org.

Let me know if you're looking for something more specific.

Thankyou for your quick reply.

Speaking to my lecturer tonight he said that we would have to go back more then five years(this fact he says verifies the qualities of unix over MS).

I will check the sites that you have given me, all I am looking for is any attacks, famous or broad cross-section, that may be documented(I understand that few organisations are not willing to do such a thing). So far searching on the sun site has been very useful.

Again thankyou for your help.

ps. I am looking

A few more places that may have some information:

www.incidents.org
aris.securityfocus.com
�[securityfocus.com is also the home of BugTraq - search that as well]
www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer/unixsecurity/unix_vuln.html
�[watch out, thats a huge page!]

Hope this helps you...

thankyou for your help, it has been very helpful and greatly appreciated.:slight_smile:

Arg, I forgot an important one...

I also just read over on /. that they released a new top20 list: http://www.sans.org/top20.htm

Ok, maybe this is the last post... may be not...

once again thankyou very much, i just hope that one day i can repay the favor. just ask and i will do my best.