UNIX Admin (Papers and study material)

Hi,

I want to prepare and then appear for Unix admin certification. Please guide me for the study material and Exams that are required to be taken for UNIX certifcation.

Thanks in advance.

Who is running the certification program?

I'm just looking to learn and appear. Haven't joined any institute. Will be doing by my own if possible.

What goals have you set yourself?

I'm looking forward to complete the certification in 6 months once i get fully equiped with material and knowledge of right path to be followed.

But if you don't know who is running the certification program how can you determine what the syllabus is?

Actually this what i want to know... Is it possible to move ahead on ur own for any UNIX/Solaris certification exams.

What Porter is asking you is:

What certification are you going to do? Solaris? HPUX? AIX? RHEL?

I want to persue for Solaris certifcation. Actually i don't have much clue on how to move ahead. You can say my knowledge is zero bout how to start and where to go, means do i need to join some institute or i can prepare for my own and appear in any of the certified prometeric centers...

You can sign up for the test any time you want to. There is no need to be a member of any group or anything like that.

Doing the preparation on your own may work, but don't expect it to be easy. My first Solaris certifications on Solaris 7 I took the full set of instructor led classes offered by Sun (System Admin I, System Admin II, and Network Admin) before taking the exams. To update my certifications for Solaris 8 and 9 I just did some self study (roughly an hour per day for a month) before taking the exams. However, that was after already being certified in a previous version and having several years of full-time job experience. I think if you don't have that kind of background passing the test without taking any classes would be very difficult. For certain you'd need to study several books and get a Solaris system where you could do lab exercises and so on to try to get experience to go with the book learning.

i recommend you not to buy paul shanguera�s book about preparing solaris 10 certification, ***** full of errors like 64 mb is the minimum memory required and loads of things that aren�t are in the book.

you will not never pass the exam with that book, just for loosing your time.

if you want a good book for preparing the exam anyone else is better

I would like to gain employment as a medical clinical applications analyst, what unix applications do I need:confused:
Askdrsam