Unique constraint violated within stored procedure executed from Perl

Hi!

I got an strange trouble executing a stored procedures that goes inserting line by line on a table. I mus integrate it with perl for an specific task... the hole process is controlled by e Perl script that:

1. Load a text file calling sqlldr.
  2. Call a stored procedure that process the uploaded data and insert into other table.

I developed the stored procedure on SQL Developer and when i run it there everything goes OK. But when i invoke it from Perl or SQL*Plus, i Got "unique constraint (ORANGE.PK_SEGMENT_RANKING_DATA) violated", but in my PL/SQL i handle that exception... my code:

BEGIN   
    INSERT INTO segment_ranking_data (id_customer, data_date, id_category, click_counter)
      VALUES (v_id_customer, TO_DATE(v_batchdate, 'DD/MM/YYYY'), v_id_category, v_clickcount);

EXCEPTION
         WHEN DUP_VAL_ON_INDEX THEN
             UPDATE segment_ranking_data SET click_counter = click_counter + v_clickcount 
             WHERE id_category=v_id_category AND id_customer=v_id_customer AND data_date=TO_DATE(v_batchdate,'DD/MM/YYYY');          

END;   

More info: Mi primary key is made by the fields (ID_CUSTOMER, DATA_DATE, ID_CATEGORY).

I got no more ideas for now :confused:....

This question is best answered in an Oracle Forum such as OTN Discussion Forums : SQL and PL/SQL

You should also:

1. Post the code
  2. Tell us what environment you are running under (Linux/Windows?)
  3. What is the version of Oracle you are running (8, 9, 10, 11?)
  4. Look into using the MERGE statement
  5. Oracle is rarely wrong about UNIQUE constraints. If it says it has one, it's probably right and it is a logic bug.
  6. Try dumping the values of your bind variables

Sam

I posted the part of code where i know the error is produced... I working Under SuSe Linux enterprise 10, with Perl 5.8 against Oracle 10gR2.

As i said, I know that in my process can be inserts of duplicated values for de primary key, but i handle the error trying an update instead... that's suppose to be the right logic. I cannot make a MERGE couse i'm inserting calculated variables in columns each LOOP.