Understanding /var/log/syslog.* logfiles solaris 8

hi guys,
This is a log from a Solaris 8 server /var/log/syslog.* file.
Can any body please confirm whether the meaning of the last two words (Mail accepted) means the mail has been delivered?
Because the email id the mail was sent to is invalid. :confused:

The log is:

Feb 18 08:55:45 server sendmail[4914]: [ID 801593 mail.info] q1I8tju04914: from=user, size=2252, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<201202180855.q1I8tju04914@servername.com>, relay=user@localhost
Feb 18 08:55:45 server sendmail[4916]: [ID 801593 mail.info] q1I8tju04914: to=abc@xyz.com, ctladdr=usr (1019/1), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=122252, relay=smtp.something.com. [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (Mail accepted)

Thanks a lot.

smtp protocol (how email gets sent) does NOT care if the recipient is right or wrong.
It considers that to be a user problem, one that the users gets to deal with.

If the email is wrong in any way it still got sent somewhere, because sendmail found an IP address to send it to. It may or may not get bounced back depending on what the remote box is configured to do. If bounced it gets put in a special directory.

Send another correct email.

To find the bounced item try looking in /etc/sendmail.cf (don't edit that file).

DeadLetterDrop=/var/tmp/dead.letter

DeadLetterDrop is where sendmail dumps bounced email, if set.

If the user has a dead.letter file look there

mailx -f dead.letter

Lets you see what is out there in dead.letter (if it exists)

1 Like

I scanned the dead.letter, and couldn't find those mails which were supposed to be bounced back. I sent a mail from gmail on one of those mail id's. Got the bounced back message in Gmail though. Any idea what's going on?

P.S. Apologies for the late reply.